1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the time of a collision

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 473-gram baseball traveling at 37 m/s is hit directly back at the pitcher with a speed of 45 m/s. If the force of contact between the bat and the ball is 3800 Newtons, how long is the bat in contact with the ball?

2. Relevant equations
    F= dp/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    F=dp/dt
    t=dp/F
    t=(m)(v2-v1)/F
    t=(.473)(8)/(3800) ---> converted 473g into kg because newtons are kg*m/s2
    t=.000996 s

But that's not the right answer. I've also tried not converted g->kg and that doesn't work either, so obviously there's something else I'm doing wrong, but I just don't know what it is.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The difference in velocities between 37m/s towards the bat and 45m/s away from the bat is 82m/s. You have to consider the sign of the velocities.

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3
    Wow, that completely went over my head... now I feel really stupid, haha. Thanks for pointing that out, sorry for the waste of a post.

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't feel sorry. That's what the forum is for. If you get it the post is hardly wasted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook