Calculating Average Force in Nonelastic Collisions with No External Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average force between a baseball and bat during contact. The equation used is related to nonelastic collisions and has no external forces. After attempting to solve the problem, it is discovered that there was an error in the calculation, with the correct answer being 1276 N. There is a brief discussion about the direction of velocity and how it affects the change in velocity.
nhmockus
A 0.145-kg baseball pitched at 35.0m/s is hit on a horizontal line drive straight back toward the pitcher at 57.0 m/s.
If the contact time between bat and ball is 2.50×10−3s , calculate the average force between the ball and bat during contact.

The equation has something to do with nonelastic collisions but it has no external forces so it should have something like m*(v(f)-v(i)/change in t

I tried to plug and chug but it wasn't correct. ((57-22)*.145)/(2.5*(10^-3) The answer I came out with was 1276

Physics news on Phys.org
nhmockus said:
((57-22)*.145)/(2.5*(10^-3)

Where did the 22 come from?

Haha that's what i found. Sorry, it should be 57-35 to = 22. I did it correctly in my calculations

nhmockus said:
Haha that's what i found. Sorry, it should be 57-35 to = 22. I did it correctly in my calculations

Think about which direction the velocity is going in, are you sure the change in velocity is 57-35=22?

Why wouldn't it be? Or are you saying that it could be negative?

If I am traveling east at 5m/s, then I turn around and start traveling west at 3m/s, what is the change in my velocity?

Related to Calculating Average Force in Nonelastic Collisions with No External Forces

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In other words, momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum different from velocity?

Momentum and velocity are related, but they are not the same thing. Velocity is a vector quantity that describes an object's speed and direction, while momentum is a vector quantity that describes an object's mass and velocity combined. In simpler terms, velocity tells you how fast an object is moving, while momentum tells you how difficult it is to stop that object.

3. What is impulse?

Impulse is a change in an object's momentum. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time it is applied for. This means that a larger force or a longer amount of time will result in a greater impulse and a larger change in momentum.

4. How does impulse relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Second Law states that the force applied to an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. This means that a larger impulse will result in a greater change in momentum and therefore a greater acceleration. Additionally, Newton's Third Law states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the impulse applied to one object will result in an equal and opposite impulse on the other object.

5. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the initial momentum of all objects in the system is equal to the final momentum of all objects in the system. This conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and is used to explain and predict the motion of objects in collisions or other interactions.