Determining Time for Nut to Go Through Taper with Oversizing Machine

In summary, the figure shows how an oversizing of a hex nut by a machine results in a force being exerted on the nut that is greater than the nut's weight. The equation used to determine the work done is W=F x S.
noobies
1st of all please give me some guidance since I am a new here and please remind me if I am do wrong in term of my wrongly area of posting, i just want to make some freinds and to share the knowledge wif all of u guys, thanks for supporting and thanks for all ur help and guide

thanks agains

Homework Statement

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/20/22129520.png
i need ur help regarding this, I've tried by my self but I am soo sure that I've done wrongly

here it comes
the figure shows that how i oversizing the hex 1/2" nut by oversizing machine. the pressure which is 3.5kg/mm sq is push the nut thru the tapper of a 100 mm length. how can i determine the time taken,t for the nut to going thru the 100mm tapper

here is the detail that may required

size of nut: 1/2 inch hexagonal nut (internal dia of nut = 1/2 inch)
pressure, P: 3.5kg/mm sq
tapper length,L: 100mm
Power of machine: 5HP
Speed: 750 rpm
time, t = ?i

Homework Equations

when I am try to solve the problem, I am using this equation
1. P=Fa (find F)
2. W=F x S (find W) work = f x s
3. P= W/ t (find t) power = w/t

The Attempt at a Solution

ive once try to determine the force exist by P=F/A:
then once i get the F, I've determine the work done by W=F x S;
lastly I've tried to find the time,t by using P= W/t which is P is a power of machine while W is a work done

but I am not satisfied with the answer that i got,

here is my work

1st. To find area of 1/2” inch hex nut (im not sure if it is correct)

area of hex nut?? = 6as + Ph
= 6(2)(1.2) + 7.2 (1.1)
= 22.32cm

wheres a= apothem length
s= side length
perimeter of the base= 6 * s
= 6 * (1.2)
= 7.22nd. Find Force, F

(converting 3.5kg/mm sq into unit pascal I got 34.3MPa)P=F/A
F=PA
=34.3Mpa * (22.32 x 10-2)

F= 7.66 x 106 N3rd. Det work done

W = F * S
= 7.66 x 106 (100 x 10-3)

W= 765.6 x 103 N
4th find time, t

P=W/t
t=W/P

where p= power of machine =5HP = 3730 watt ?

t=765.6 x 103 N / 3730

final answer; t=205 sec ?
can anybody correct me if I am wrong or giving me for some tips or correct formula on how to done iti would very great of any possible idea and i'll tried by myself before refer to all of u back

if u hv any question or didnt understand wif the question, please ask me and i would really great to explain

thanks again

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
is it i need to consider such as angular velocity or torque or anything that i misconsidered?

thanks 4 those who r viewing my thread, i still hv no idea wif this question except for my trial solution, any idea would be please

still hv no idea mates?
im might be offline for a while and i'll update any of ur question (if have) later and i will because this is quite important to me

thanks mate

anybody?need ur favor and thanksp/s:if I am done it in wrong section or maybe my way is a bit annoying pls to let me know as i can manage myself to do it rite

:cry::cry:

can i know why am i didnt get any reply?
is it I am do it in wrong way?

Related to Determining Time for Nut to Go Through Taper with Oversizing Machine

1. What is Physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It explains the fundamental laws of the universe and helps us understand the behavior of objects at different scales, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies.

2. Why is Physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the natural world and the principles that govern it. It also has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. Many of our modern innovations and advancements are based on the principles of physics.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Physics?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of Physics is to practice solving problems. This will help you apply the concepts you have learned and identify any areas that you may need to review. You can also try studying in groups, watching videos or lectures, and seeking help from your teacher or a tutor.

4. What are some common challenges in Physics homework?

Some common challenges in Physics homework include understanding the concepts, applying the correct formulas and equations, and solving problems accurately. It may also be challenging to visualize certain concepts or to relate them to real-life situations. It is important to ask for help and practice regularly to overcome these challenges.

5. How can I prepare for a Physics exam?

To prepare for a Physics exam, it is important to review your notes and textbook regularly, practice solving problems, and take practice tests. It may also be helpful to create study guides, use flashcards, and study with a group. Make sure to get enough rest and eat well before the exam to perform at your best.