Determining universal gravitational constant G

In summary, the task is to choose two masses and vary their separation, measuring the force between them each time. The goal is to plot a straight line graph, use the gradient to estimate the universal gravitational constant, and include uncertainties and significant figures in the results. The method attempted is to graph the force against the inverse of the distance squared and find the y-intercept. The force between the masses will be measured using a phet simulation.
Tony Manilla

Homework Statement

Choose two masses and vary their separation, measuring the force between them each time. Plot a straight line graph and use the gradient to estimate the universal gravitational constant. Include uncertainties in the results and express values with the appropriate number of significant figures.
Im stumped...i could simply solve for G by inputing the variables i have (all except G) but i have to use the gradient of the graph.

Homework Equations

F= G*Mm/r^2
F=1/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried graphing Force vs 1/distance^2 and using the slope of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tony Manilla said:
Choose two masses and vary their separation, measuring the force between them each time.

i wonder how you will measure the force between the two chosen mass ?

It's a phet simulation but I figured it out. Just had to graph force vs inverse of distance squared and find the y intercept

1. How is the universal gravitational constant G determined?

The universal gravitational constant G is determined through various experiments and calculations. One method is through the Cavendish experiment, which involves measuring the deflection of a torsion balance due to the gravitational force between two objects. Another method is through measuring the orbital motion of planets and satellites, using the equation G = (4π²r³)/(T²m), where r is the distance between the objects, T is the orbital period, and m is the mass of the objects.

2. Why is the universal gravitational constant G important?

The universal gravitational constant G is important because it helps us understand the force of gravity and its effects on objects in the universe. It is a fundamental constant in Newton's law of universal gravitation and is also used in Einstein's theory of general relativity. G allows us to calculate the gravitational force between any two objects and predict their motion in space.

3. What is the value of the universal gravitational constant G?

The currently accepted value of the universal gravitational constant G is 6.67430 × 10⁻¹¹ m³/kg·s². This value was determined by the International Committee for Weights and Measures in 2018.

4. Does the value of the universal gravitational constant G vary?

There have been some discrepancies in the measurements of G over the years, leading to a slight variation in its accepted value. However, it is generally believed that the value of G is a constant and does not vary over time or space. Further research and experiments are still being conducted to accurately determine the value of G.

5. How does the universal gravitational constant G relate to the mass and distance between two objects?

According to Newton's law of universal gravitation, the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In other words, as the mass of either object increases, the gravitational force increases, and as the distance between them increases, the gravitational force decreases. The value of G is a constant that accounts for this proportionality and allows us to calculate the gravitational force between any two objects in the universe.