Determining whether a matrix function is linear?

In summary, to determine if a function is linear, you need to check if it satisfies the two criteria: f(cx) = cf(x) and f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y). If both are true, the function is linear, and if one or both are false, the function is not linear.
Crosshash

Homework Statement

Which of the following functions is linear? Give reasons if they are not linear. If they are linear, give the corresponding matrix.

Homework Equations

a) [itex]
R
\begin{pmatrix}
x\\
y\\
\end{pmatrix} =

\begin{pmatrix}
x - y \\
x\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

b) [itex]
S
\begin{pmatrix}
a\\
b\\
\end{pmatrix} =

\begin{pmatrix}
5 \\
b\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

c) [itex]T(x \textbf{i} + y \textbf{j} + z \textbf{k}) = 6x \textbf{i} + y \textbf{j} - y \textbf{k} [/itex]

d)[itex]
U
\begin{pmatrix}
x\\
y\\
z\\
\end{pmatrix} =

\begin{pmatrix}
xy \\
y\\
z\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this question, I've tried to find some advice online and neither my notes nor the resources seem to help me.

Could someone possibly tell me what I'm supposed to do please?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If a function f is linear then f (x+y) = f(x) + f(y) and f(cx) = cf(x) for a constant c and x, y in your domain. Check to see if the functions satisify these two criteria by checking with arbitrary scalar c and variables x and y.

Ok, I think I understand, so if I take the first question and use the criteria f(cx) = cf(x).

a)
[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
a & b\\
c & d\\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
x\\
y\\
\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
x - y \\
x\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

I get

[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
ax + by\\
cx + dy\\
\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
x - y \\
x\\
\end{pmatrix}

[/itex]

So [itex]R = \begin{pmatrix}
1 & -1\\
1 & 0\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

So my R value is this constant? So now I just need to multiply f(x) by R and see if I still get the answer right?

No, you do not assume that f(cx) = cf(x). You want to check if that is true. So compute cf(x) and compute f(cx) and see if they are equal. Then move onto computing f(x+y) and f(x) + f(y) and see if they are equal. The function is linear if and only if those two statements are true. If one or both are false then the function is not linear.

1. What is a matrix function?

A matrix function is a mathematical function that takes a matrix as an input and produces a matrix as an output.

2. How do you determine if a matrix function is linear?

To determine if a matrix function is linear, you need to check if it satisfies the properties of linearity. This includes the properties of additivity and homogeneity.

3. What are the properties of linearity?

The properties of linearity are additivity and homogeneity. Additivity means that the function satisfies the property f(A+B) = f(A) + f(B), where A and B are matrices. Homogeneity means that the function satisfies the property f(kA) = kf(A), where k is a scalar and A is a matrix.

4. Why is it important to determine if a matrix function is linear?

Determining if a matrix function is linear is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its output. Linear functions have simple and predictable behavior, making them easier to work with in mathematical calculations.

5. Can a matrix function be both linear and nonlinear?

No, a matrix function cannot be both linear and nonlinear. It can only have one of these properties. A function is considered linear if it satisfies the properties of linearity, and it is considered nonlinear if it does not satisfy these properties.