1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Detonate a 150 Kilotons nuclear bomb 77M underground

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    If I detonate a 150 Kilotons nuclear bomb 77M underground what would be the radius of the E.M.P. effect above ground ? If the nature of the soil change the result than give me a couple of soil example like rock, granite, etc... I was assuming that there would be no E.M.P. effect or very short distance effect but someone is arguing with me there would be one so tell me the truth !

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2
    Re: E.m.p.

A nuclear weapon detonated on the surface or underground will generate no HEMP (High-altitude EMP) with long range effects, but will generate SREMP (Source Region EMP), which can be very powerful, but very limited in range, perhaps a kilometer or two. Glasstone's The Effects Of Nuclear Weapons is an excellent official DOD source for SREMP effects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook