Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deveopment or evolve of a small species

1. Jan 8, 2006 #1
    In oder to model a deveopment or evolve of a small species, i heard i shold use matthematicall. But, I am not know where I can get the matthematicall equations ? you do this before ? can you help me ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What, exactly, are you trying to model?

If you are attempting to model the evolution of a species then, as far as I know, there are no such models (and if they do exist they would be of dubious value). People have modeled "speciation" with an emphasis on stability of species and how they react to certain changes but this is more a mathematical curiosity at this state.

I suspect you are thinking about "evolution" in the sense of population growth. There are many models to choose from ranging from linear growth to exponential growth to predator-prey models to the more sophisticated Verhulst models.
  4. Jan 8, 2006 #3
    Thank you replying, I model one square, and one square grow to many square in a probaility range. yes it is model population growth.
    But i want to see where the equations come from. I read jurnals but jurnals don't say where the equations come from, only say where the ratio, used in that equations, is taken from.
    in general, how can we make equations like that.
    I do a project in computer, it about model development of tumors in human body.
  5. Jan 8, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a fairly specialized and complex system for modelling. There are many models that people have developed. While the journals often take it for granted that the reader has basic knowledge it may be more appropriate for you to look into textbooks dealing with the subject.

I don't have firsthand experience with tumor modelling so I can't be of much help but you may find books like this one to be educational: http://www.springer.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,4-10047-22-52089065-0,00.html

(Unfortunately, it won't be published until June. You can use Google to search for similar textbooks in the meantime.)
  6. Jan 8, 2006 #5
    pick up a mathematical biology textbook like Keshet's....and you'll see how they derive the equations. You may be able to find stuff in an intro to calculus book on Rate Growth(~population growth) and Rate Decay(~death)
    which are also called teh mortality rates in mathbio.
    Hopefully you know stuff about derivatives and change over time. Then all it is, is fiddling with parameters or constants.
  7. Jan 9, 2006 #6
    thank you, i buy basic texbook :grin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?