Deviations from the Ideal Gas Equation

In summary, the equation assumes that the gas molecules have no volume, and that any interactions among the molecules are ignored. For carbon dioxide, the constants in the van der Waals equation are a=0.364 J/mol and b=4.27x10-5 moles/mol.
doggieslover
The derivation of the ideal gas equation employs two assumptions that are invalid for real gas molecules. First, the equation assumes that the molecules of the gas have no volume, which is not true for real molecules. Since the molecules will have some physical volume, the volume that the gas molecules occupy will be increased by the volume that the molecules occupy at rest. In addition, the equation ignores any interactions among the molecules. However, such interactions were first observed in the 19th century by J. D. van der Waals. He realized that, because of the intermolecular forces in the gas, there is a small but measurable attraction among the molecules, which will reduce the pressure of the gas on the walls of the container. To correct for these two deviations from an ideal gas, the van der Waals equation gives

(p+\frac{an^{2}}{V^{2}})(V-nb)=nRT,
where a and b are empirical constants, which are different for different gasses.

For carbon dioxide gas (\rm{CO_{2}}), the constants in the van der Waals equation are a=0.364\;{\rm J \cdot m^{3}/mol^{2}} and b=4.27 \times 10^{-5}\;{\rm m^{3}/mol}.
Part A
If 1.00 {\rm mol} of \rm{CO_{2}} gas at 350 {\rm K} is confined to a volume of 400 {\rm cm^{3}}, find the pressure p_ideal of the gas using the ideal gas equation.
Express your answer numerically in pascals.

Okay I set up the problem as p= [nRT/(V-nb)] - [(an^2)/V^2], using R = 8.314472m^3Pa/Kmol, V= 4*10^-4 I plugged everything in, and I got 8.14*10^6Pa, but it's incorrect, I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Part B
Find the pressure p_vdW of the gas using the van der Waals equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi doggieslover,

doggieslover said:
The derivation of the ideal gas equation employs two assumptions that are invalid for real gas molecules. First, the equation assumes that the molecules of the gas have no volume, which is not true for real molecules. Since the molecules will have some physical volume, the volume that the gas molecules occupy will be increased by the volume that the molecules occupy at rest. In addition, the equation ignores any interactions among the molecules. However, such interactions were first observed in the 19th century by J. D. van der Waals. He realized that, because of the intermolecular forces in the gas, there is a small but measurable attraction among the molecules, which will reduce the pressure of the gas on the walls of the container. To correct for these two deviations from an ideal gas, the van der Waals equation gives

(p+\frac{an^{2}}{V^{2}})(V-nb)=nRT,
where a and b are empirical constants, which are different for different gasses.

For carbon dioxide gas (\rm{CO_{2}}), the constants in the van der Waals equation are a=0.364\;{\rm J \cdot m^{3}/mol^{2}} and b=4.27 \times 10^{-5}\;{\rm m^{3}/mol}.
Part A
If 1.00 {\rm mol} of \rm{CO_{2}} gas at 350 {\rm K} is confined to a volume of 400 {\rm cm^{3}}, find the pressure p_ideal of the gas using the ideal gas equation.

Okay I set up the problem as p= [nRT/(V-nb)] - [(an^2)/V^2], using R = 8.314472m^3Pa/Kmol, V= 4*10^-4 I plugged everything in, and I got 8.14*10^6Pa, but it's incorrect, I'm not sure what I did wrong.

For part A they are asking for the pressure if the gas were an ideal gas; so you need to use the ideal gas equation, not the van der Waals gas equation. (In part B they ask for the pressure assuming it's a van der Waals gas.)

Oh yeah I read the question wrong, I got it now, thanks.

1. What is the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation, also known as the General Gas Equation, is a mathematical relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a closed system. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. What are deviations from the Ideal Gas Equation?

Deviations from the Ideal Gas Equation occur when the behavior of a gas does not follow the predictions of the Ideal Gas Law. This can happen when the gas is at high pressures or low temperatures, or if the gas particles have strong intermolecular forces.

3. How do deviations from the Ideal Gas Equation affect gas behavior?

Deviations from the Ideal Gas Equation can cause the gas to behave differently than predicted by the Ideal Gas Law. For example, the gas may not follow Boyle's Law (pressure and volume are inversely proportional) or Charles's Law (volume and temperature are directly proportional). This can also affect the accuracy of calculations involving gas properties.

4. What are some common causes of deviations from the Ideal Gas Equation?

Some common causes of deviations from the Ideal Gas Equation include high pressures, low temperatures, and the presence of gases with strong intermolecular forces. In addition, real gases may have non-negligible volumes and may undergo chemical reactions, both of which can cause deviations from the Ideal Gas Law.

5. How can deviations from the Ideal Gas Equation be accounted for?

To account for deviations from the Ideal Gas Equation, several modifications have been made to the equation. These include the Van der Waals equation, which accounts for non-negligible volumes of gas particles, and the Redlich-Kwong equation, which takes into account the attractive forces between gas particles. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law can be used as an approximation in situations where the deviations are small.