Incompatibility between ideal gas equations of state

In summary, to derive the equation of state for an ideal gas that relates pressure, density, and temperature, the equations PV = nRT and n = m/M were used, along with the consideration of density as n/V. Using these equations, it was found that the final equation should be P/ρ = RT, not P/ρ = RT/M. This is because ρ represents molar density, not mass density.
Portuga
Homework Statement
Derive the equation of state for an ideal gas that relates pressure, density, and temperature.
Relevant Equations
PV = nRT
To solve this problem I used two equations:
$$
PV=nRT,
$$
where ##P## is the pressure, ##V##the volume, ##R##the gas constant, ##T##for temperature and is##n##the number of moles, related to the
mass ##m## and molar mass ##M## by
$$
n=\frac{m}{M}.
$$
It will be also necessary consider the density ##\rho## as
$$
\rho=\frac{m}{V}.
$$

So,
\begin{align}
& PV=\frac{m}{M}RT\nonumber \\
\Rightarrow & \frac{P}{\frac{m}{V}}=\frac{RT}{M}\nonumber \\
\Rightarrow & \frac{P}{\rho}=\frac{RT}{M}.\nonumber
\end{align}
When I checked the answer, to my surprise I found
$$
\frac{P}{\rho}=RT.
$$
I am so confused because this is so simple and I have no idea about
what to do with the molar mass##M##to get the answer provided by the author.

Physics news on Phys.org
Portuga said:
Homework Statement:: Derive the equation of state for an ideal gas that relates pressure, density, and temperature.
Relevant Equations:: PV = nRT

To solve this problem I used two equations:
$$
PV=nRT,
$$
where ##P## is the pressure, ##V##the volume, ##R##the gas constant, ##T##for temperature and is##n##the number of moles, related to the
mass ##m## and molar mass ##M## by
$$
n=\frac{m}{M}.
$$
It will be also necessary consider the density ##\rho## as
$$
\rho=\frac{m}{V}.
$$

So,
\begin{align}
& PV=\frac{m}{M}RT\nonumber \\
\Rightarrow & \frac{P}{\frac{m}{V}}=\frac{RT}{M}\nonumber \\
\Rightarrow & \frac{P}{\rho}=\frac{RT}{M}.\nonumber
\end{align}
When I checked the answer, to my surprise I found
$$
\frac{P}{\rho}=RT.
$$
I am so confused because this is so simple and I have no idea about
what to do with the molar mass##M##to get the answer provided by the author.
In that final equation, ##\rho## is the molar density n/V, not the mass density m/V.

• Love
Likes MatinSAR and Portuga
Thank u very much!

What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to the incompatibility between ideal gas equations of state?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the behavior of an ideal gas. It states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. This equation is used to calculate the state of an ideal gas under various conditions.

What are the different equations of state for ideal gases and why are they incompatible?

There are several equations of state for ideal gases, including the Van der Waals equation, the Dieterici equation, and the Redlich-Kwong equation. These equations are incompatible because they make different assumptions about the behavior of gases, such as the size of gas molecules and the effects of intermolecular forces. As a result, they give different predictions for the behavior of gases under the same conditions.

How does the incompatibility between ideal gas equations of state affect real-world applications?

The incompatibility between ideal gas equations of state can lead to errors in calculations and predictions for real-world applications. This can be especially problematic in industries such as chemical engineering and gas production, where accurate predictions of gas behavior are crucial for designing and operating systems.

Is there a way to reconcile the incompatibility between ideal gas equations of state?

While it is not possible to completely reconcile the incompatibility between ideal gas equations of state, there are methods that can be used to improve their accuracy. One approach is to use a combination of different equations of state to better represent the behavior of real gases. Another approach is to incorporate correction factors or constants into the equations to account for deviations from ideal gas behavior.

What are some limitations of the ideal gas law and how do they contribute to the incompatibility between ideal gas equations of state?

The ideal gas law is based on several assumptions, such as the absence of intermolecular forces and the assumption that gas molecules have no volume. These assumptions do not hold true for real gases, leading to discrepancies between the ideal gas law and actual gas behavior. These limitations contribute to the incompatibility between ideal gas equations of state as they make different assumptions and corrections to account for these discrepancies.