1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Device Physics Graduate Programs?

1. Jun 23, 2007 #1
    I am currently a double major in EE and physics due to graduate in spring 2008. I want to go to graduate school to study semiconductor device physics, or perhaps molecular electronics or organic electronics. Should I be looking into EE programs or applied physics programs? I know it would depend on the school, but in general, where is most of the device physics research done: EE or applied physics?

Also, can some of you give me some good groups working on semiconductor device physics or molecular/organic electronics? I am honestly having trouble finding which schools have the best device physics groups.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2
    Lots of EE programs offer concentrations in solid state devices, but I am also aware of applied physics programs which are tailored to device physics. Overall, I would say that there are far more EE programs doing device work.

The applied physics department at Texas Tech has a Master of Science internship (MSi) program in device physics. I was accepted into their program in 2006, but decided to attend graduate school elsewhere. In retrospect, I wish I had gone to Texas Tech.

UT Dallas has a pretty strong program in organic electronics and semiconductor devices. I actually did some work on organic solar cells at the UT Dallas Nanotech Institute as an undergraduate. They have state of the art clean-room and materials characterization facilities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?