1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Device to measure materials' vibration?

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    Someone tells me that every objects has its own vibration, such as stone, water ...
    When bee is flying, the sound of vibration can be heard at different speed, bbbbbbb ...
    but not all vibration can be heard by us.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what kinds of device can measure material's vibration / frequency?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2
    I'm not sure if you are talking about the continuous random vibrations of atoms within an object or an objects resonance. If it's the former a thermometer could be used, not quite sure for the latter.

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Are you talking about mechanical resonance? (Though I don't know how that could apply to liquid water!)

To measure resonant frequency, you could rest something like a microphone insert on the body to record for high frequencies, or attach a strain gauge for lower frequencies. You then excite the body somehow or other, e.g., by sinusoidal input, or impulses, or even by random noise using correlation techniques to extract the desired oscillatory info.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook