Device to measure materials' vibration?

• Thread starter oem7110
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Someone tells me that every objects has its own vibration, such as stone, water ...
When bee is flying, the sound of vibration can be heard at different speed, bbbbbbb ...
but not all vibration can be heard by us.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what kinds of device can measure material's vibration / frequency?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Answers and Replies

I'm not sure if you are talking about the continuous random vibrations of atoms within an object or an objects resonance. If it's the former a thermometer could be used, not quite sure for the latter.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Does anyone have any suggestions on what kinds of device can measure material's vibration / frequency?
Are you talking about mechanical resonance? (Though I don't know how that could apply to liquid water!)

To measure resonant frequency, you could rest something like a microphone insert on the body to record for high frequencies, or attach a strain gauge for lower frequencies. You then excite the body somehow or other, e.g., by sinusoidal input, or impulses, or even by random noise using correlation techniques to extract the desired oscillatory info.