Instrument to measure the frequency of sound

In summary, the student is looking for an instrument that can measure the frequency of the sound of a vibrating violin string with precision. He tried using a Labquest and a vernier microphone to measure, but it was not precise enough. He needs the instrument to be very accurate in measuring Hz. There are no instruments suitable for this purpose, but he is investigating possible options.
Dong Min
I need an instrument to measure the frequency of the sound of a vibrating violin string for a high school research essay. I tried using a Labquest and a vernier microphone to measure but it was way too imprecise. I need the instrument to very accurate in measuring Hz as the nature of my essay needs the data to be precise. Are there any instruments suitable? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of frequency resolution are you looking for? Are you wanting to see the different frequency components in the spectrum? Talk with somebody in one of the on campus labs to see if they have some equipment you could use.

Dong Min said:
I need an instrument to measure the frequency of the sound of a vibrating violin string for a high school research essay. I tried using a Labquest and a vernier microphone to measure but it was way too imprecise. I need the instrument to very accurate in measuring Hz as the nature of my essay needs the data to be precise. Are there any instruments suitable? Thank you!

First of all, there is usually no "THE" frequency of a violin, or any musical instruments for that matter. You may have one main, dominant frequency, but you will also get overtones of other harmonics along with that frequency.

So, as been asked, what exactly are you trying to measure here? Are you simply wanting to know the dominant frequency, or are you also trying to measure ALL the active frequencies that are emitted for a particular note? And how accurate do you want this? Simply stating that it was "too imprecise" is very vague. You need to state the kind of resolution you want.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
First of all, there is usually no "THE" frequency of a violin, or any musical instruments for that matter. You may have one main, dominant frequency, but you will also get overtones of other harmonics along with that frequency.

So, as been asked, what exactly are you trying to measure here? Are you simply wanting to know the dominant frequency, or are you also trying to measure ALL the active frequencies that are emitted for a particular note? And how accurate do you want this? Simply stating that it was "too imprecise" is very vague. You need to state the kind of resolution you want.

Zz.
I'm only looking to obtain the fundamental frequency of the sound produced and not its overtones. And on the resolution, having thought about it, I don't mind too much on the resolution of the device, something along the lines of ±5Hz would be nice.

scottdave said:
What type of frequency resolution are you looking for? Are you wanting to see the different frequency components in the spectrum? Talk with somebody in one of the on campus labs to see if they have some equipment you could use.
Alright, thank you!

Or maybe the band or orchestra department has a tuning machine which will show frequency. I just thought about this: You can download apps which will display this information, in fact. Check them with a known source to see how they are. Two that I've used are DA Tuner and Pano Tuner.

Likes BillTre
scottdave said:
Or maybe the band or orchestra department has a tuning machine which will show frequency. I just thought about this: You can download apps which will display this information, in fact. Check them with a known source to see how they are. Two that I've used are DA Tuner and Pano Tuner.

That is actually a good point, because I forgot about this.

I know that a couple of my students have used an iOS app called FFT Plot, which gives you the real-time frequency spectrum of a sound. It isn't a free app, from what I remember.

Zz.

Likes scottdave
scottdave said:
I just thought about this: You can download apps which will display this information, in fact. Check them with a known source to see how they are. Two that I've used are DA Tuner and Pano Tuner.
I use Spectral Pro spectrum analyzer.

Tuners are sold in most music stores and online. I have one I got online for $US24 - accurate to about 0.1Hz - of course the tuner gnome hid it - I can't find it right now to give specifics.

Likes BillTre and scottdave
There is one I have on my Android phone called Spectroid. It is free

Likes sophiecentaur
Thanks guys, I got the frequency coutner by cateater on the app store (some of the android apps are not on the app stores). Nonetheless, it seems to be working pretty well.

What is an instrument to measure the frequency of sound?

An instrument to measure the frequency of sound is a device that is used to determine the pitch of a sound wave. It measures the number of vibrations or cycles per second, which is known as the frequency of a sound.

What is the unit of measurement for frequency?

The unit of measurement for frequency is Hertz (Hz). One Hz is equal to one cycle or vibration per second. This unit is used to measure the frequency of sound waves, as well as other types of waves such as radio waves and light waves.

How does an instrument measure the frequency of sound?

An instrument to measure the frequency of sound uses a microphone or a sensor to detect the sound waves. The sound waves are then converted into an electrical signal, which is analyzed by the instrument to determine the frequency of the sound.

What is the range of frequencies that can be measured by this instrument?

The range of frequencies that can be measured by an instrument to measure the frequency of sound depends on the type of instrument. Some instruments have a limited range, while others can measure a wide range of frequencies. Generally, the range can vary from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, which covers the range of human hearing.

Can this instrument measure the frequency of all types of sounds?

No, not all instruments can measure the frequency of all types of sounds. Some instruments are designed to measure specific ranges of frequencies, while others may be limited by their capabilities. Additionally, some sounds may be too low or too high for an instrument to accurately measure their frequency.