1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalizability of a matrix containing smaller diagonalizable matrices

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Please don't mind my math english, I'm really not used to it yet..

Given [itex]R\in M_n(F)[/itex] and two matrices [itex]A\in M_{n1}(F)[/itex] and [itex]D\in M_{n2}(F)[/itex] where [itex]n1+n2=n[/itex]
    [itex]R = \begin{pmatrix} A & B \\ 0 & D \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
    Given A,D both diagonalizable (over F), and don't share any identical eigenvalues - Prove that R is diagonalizable.

Ok, So what i did was building eigenvectors for R, based on the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A and D.
    for example, suppose [itex]λ_1 [/itex] is eigenvalue of A with eigenvector [itex]V = \begin{pmatrix} V1 \\ V2 \\. \\. \\. \end{pmatrix}[/itex], then taking [itex]U = \begin{pmatrix} V1 \\ V2 \\. \\. \\0 \\0\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex] would give [itex]R*U = λ_1*U[/itex] thus λ1,U are eigenvalue and vector of R

I managed to do the same using D. So now I have a set of eigenvalues and vectors of R.
    My question is - How can I tell that R has no other eigenvalues other than those of A and D, and finish my proof... Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    So you've shown that ##R## has ##n## linearly independent eigenvectors, since they come from different two matrices with no overlapping eigenvalues, and also where an eigenvalue does repeat within either ##A## or ##D##, the geometric multiplicity of the eigenvalue is equal to its algebraic multiplicity (because ##A## and ##D## are both diagonalisable). Therefore, we can already write ##R## in the form ##PD P^{-1}## in the standard way; that is, ##R## is diagonalisable.

On the other hand, suppose there exists another eigenvalue of ##R## not covered by the eigenvalues of ##A## and ##D##. Then there must correspond an eigenvector that is linearly independent of all of the other eigenvectors of ##R##. But this means the eigenvectors of ##R## spans ##n+1## dimensions, which is not possible. So you cannot have another eigenvalue.

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply.
    I still dont get it - I never said I found n eigenvectors. I said I found vectors for all eigen values of A and D.
    How can you tell A gives total of n1 and D gives total of n2 vectors?

5. Jun 28, 2012 #4
    If an ##n\times n## matrix is diagonalisable, then it must have ##n## linearly independent eigenvectors. If you have a repeated eigenvalue with multiplicity ##k##, then the dimension of the corresponding eigenspace must also be ##k##. Is it possible you haven't found all the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook