Diameter of Football Players' Piston: Calculating

  • Thread starter Thread starter pshla
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hydraulic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
pshla
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 55 kg cheerleader uses an oil-filled hydraulic lift to hold four 110 kg football players at a height of 1.0m. If her piston is 16 cm in diameter, what is the diameter of the football players' piston?

Homework Equations



F1/A1=F2/A2
A=pi*r^2
F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution



(55)(9.8)/pi(0.08)^2=(440)(9.8)/pi(r^2)

After I did this, I realized that I need to work the height into the equation, but I'm not sure where it would fit in.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest way is to think of the volume displaced - since the hydraulic fluid is in incompressible that must be the same for the cheerleader and the footballers.
In addition the force exerted by the cheerleader and footballers is known.

area_cheerleader * height_cheer = area_footballers * height_footballers
55g / area_chearleader = 110g/area_footballer

The unknowns are area_footballer and height_cheerleader.