Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did donuts originate in America?

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Did they originate in America? whatever, they do show up on tv
    (from memory) a lot, i think they have caught on in the UK now,
    i just bought a bag of 5 jam ones for 99p :surprised at my local
    garage/shop.
    I was hungry and only had £1 50p.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 13, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember a Michael Palin documentary where he was either in Turkey or the middle east somewhere (I can't remember exactly where) and they were making doughnuts there. I'm sure I heard Palin's guide say that they originated from there, and they eat them as a breakfast dish. It is of course not like the doughnuts we're used to now.

5. Apr 13, 2007 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Didn't heart disease originate from doughtnuts? :confused:

6. Apr 13, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, donuts!!! I love donuts. For the most part I can't eat them any more due to blood sugar issues, but there is nothing like a fresh hot Krispy Kreme donut - the absolute best and Portlands favorite!!! If you have never had a Krispy Kreme and you see a store, try one. They are fantastic!!! Every bite will melt in your mouth.
    http://www.krispykreme.com/

They are so good that every now and again I will risk three hours of hell just to eat one. :biggrin:

7. Apr 14, 2007 #6
    Having grown up in New England I prefer the Dunkin Donut style. They aren't light and fluffy bites of sugary nothings like the Krispy Kremes. DD donuts hit your stomach like a head on with a runaway ice cream truck. An hour after the consuming one still feels like having eaten a donut. KK donuts can never satisfy a true donut addict.

8. Apr 14, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, I have the same opinion of Krispy Kremes...there's nothing to them but sugar. I keep trying to find the donut, but I'm convinced they've just molded sugar into a donut shape.

And, welcome back! Haven't seen you around in ages! :biggrin:

9. Apr 14, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

DD makes cakes not donuts.

10. Apr 14, 2007 #9
    here in california, we dont have donuts. we have burritos.

11. Apr 14, 2007 #10
    What's in a name? That which we call a donut by any other name would taste as sweet.

Perhaps what passes for a donut in New England is not technically a donut by definition, I speak for all trueblooded New Englanders when I say that we will defend the honor of the Dunkin Donut to stand among its peers as a fellow North American donut. It has a prestigious location among other North American foods that are not, by definition, like their foreign predecessors. The pizza, the french fry, the chimichanga, all represent what it is to be a United Statesian and yet all of them have evolved from their original form.

Could it be that Dunkin Donuts donuts are the natural evolution of a superior donut and will eventually replace the Krispy Kreme donut as the North American standard? I think so, sir.

12. Apr 14, 2007 #11

radou

Homework Helper

This is what we eat down here. It's like doughnuts, but without that silly hole in the middle. :tongue:

13. Apr 14, 2007 #12
    I just bought some apple filled donuts. They are very good.

14. Apr 14, 2007 #13
    I prefer the BAvarian Creme. (darn this shift key.) I like the apple donuts when I feel I ought to be eating something healthy or if I ever decided to go on a diet.

Hey radou, I don't know what you call those things but they look bad for you. I would love them. I'd love them even more with some HErsheys chocolate on top.

15. Apr 14, 2007 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Dunkin' Donuts are a poor imitation of the gut-filling New England cake-style donuts of my childhood. A couple that were our best friends moved to the Seattle area shortly after they married, and we would send Lynnie a box of Nissen's chocolate donuts every few months just to keep her from going off the deep end. It seems that Seattle had fallen to the same devious demon that plagues the Mid-Atlantic and the South....the idea that a donut ought to be a bit of sweet airy fluff with no substance.

This perversion is paralleled by the regional degradation of biscuits. Here in Maine, you would be talked about behind your back (perhaps within earshot) if you brought southern-style cakey-type biscuits to a church supper or PTA fundraiser instead of the traditional pastry-style biscuits that have been folded and rolled out many times to make the tall, layered confections that just BEG for butter.

16. Apr 14, 2007 #15
    The best donuts I have ever had are made by my Grandma, to bad she doesn't make them anymore. Her homemade donuts dipped in icing sugar are to die for! As I don't get those anymore I have to be happy with Tim Hortons which are good, just not the same level as a homemade one.

17. Apr 14, 2007 #16
    There should be a poll to determine for good and all what the best donut of the land is. We need something to gather the masses in the virtual stadium of PF once again. Intellectual pursuits are difficult to make really personal. I'd wager that the moment people are straining most to understand new meaning in Quantum Physics or Politics their thoughts wander to their coffee and then inevitably to the glorious donut that would go so well on a shiny little plate next to it. What better to debate than the proper texture of the perfect donut.

18. Apr 14, 2007 #17

Evo

It has to be a yeast doughnut. Cake doughnuts are ok sometimes, but my mom always made homemade yeast donuts and she makes the best doughnuts in the world. I'd eat them plain or with just a little sprinkle of sugar.

Why do doughnut shops have to pour ten pounds of sugar gloop over every single doughnut? I spend ten minutes trying to scrape the sickening gloop off the doughnut, then what's left is a squashed wad of dough. :cry:

19. Apr 14, 2007 #18

wolram

Gold Member

The doughnuts i purchased refused to break up into anything swallow able,
    the jam was just sweet with no taste ,and half and hour after eating them i wished i had not.

20. Apr 15, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See, now Dunkin' Donuts has a plain donut that doesn't have any sugar on it, so even you could be happy with the choices there. Of course, I avoid those completely. But, if I were truly inclined toward dunking donuts in coffee, I'd probably want one free of all the extra toppings. My favorites are the jelly donuts. That's the ones I can't get anywhere else. All the other donut shops ask you what flavor jelly...I don't want a flavor, I want RED...that's all it is, it's just red jelly, nobody knows what flavor that is in a Dunkin' Donut jelly donut, and it's certainly not any of the flavors available in the other donut shops (I tried every flavor Tim Horton's has in the hopes of identifying the elusive "red" flavor). And, I do like the sugar glazed ones, but the sugar has to be a crisp layer on the outside of a nice fluffy donut on the inside, not the Krispy Kreme variety of sugar somehow infused through the entire donut so the donut tastes somehow wet.

21. Apr 15, 2007 #20

Astronuc

When I was much younger, I used to get 'Old-fashioned Plain" doughnuts at DD, because I could handle the 'gloop' as Evo mentioned.

Now I eat just about any kind. My favorite is the Boston Creme with custard filling and a chocolate glaze. :tongue2: I like Eclairs for the same reason.
    http://www.pastrywiz.com/dailyrecipes/recipes/512.htm :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?