Did I do this physics problem right?

• Thread starter zeromodz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the coefficient of friction value between the box and the floor is 0.2551. This can be calculated by dividing the force applied (25N) by the normal force (mass of box multiplied by gravity) and solving for μ. Since the box is being pushed at a constant velocity, the net force is zero and the acceleration is not needed in the calculation.
zeromodz
Its not for homework, I just want to make sure I can do this.

What is the value of the coefficient of friction between the box and the floor?
A man pushes a box with a mass of 10kg at a constant velocity across the floor. he pushes with a constant force of 25N. What is the coefficient of friction value?

F = ukN
uk = F / N
uk = (25) / ((10)(9.8))
uk = 0.25

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to know at what rate the box accelerates at in order to find the friction co-efficient.

LostConjugate said:
You will need to know at what rate the box accelerates at in order to find the friction co-efficient.

Not for this problem. If the velocity is constant, which the problem stated, then the net force is zero.

So mgcosθμ = 25

98μ = 25

μ = .2551...

so yes you're correct.

1. Did I use the correct formula for this problem?

The first step in solving any physics problem is to identify the correct formula to use. Make sure you have carefully read the problem and have a solid understanding of the concepts involved. If you are unsure, check with your teacher or refer to your textbook for guidance.

2. Did I use the correct units in my calculations?

Units are an essential part of any physics problem. Make sure you are using the correct units throughout your calculations and conversions. If you are unsure about the units, refer to your formula or textbook for guidance. Also, always double-check the units in your final answer to ensure they are correct.

3. Did I make any calculation errors?

It is common to make mistakes when doing calculations, so it's important to double-check your work. Make sure you have entered all the numbers correctly and have used the correct mathematical operations. If you are still unsure about your answer, try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same result.

4. Did I account for all the given information in the problem?

In physics, it's crucial to consider all the given information in a problem. Make sure you have accounted for all the variables and data provided in the problem and have used them correctly in your calculations. If you are unsure about any information, don't hesitate to ask your teacher for clarification.

5. Did I include the correct number of significant figures in my answer?

Significant figures are important in physics, as they indicate the precision and accuracy of a measurement. Make sure you are using the correct number of significant figures in your calculations and final answer. If you are unsure about significant figures, refer to your textbook or ask your teacher for guidance.