Did i do this question completely wrong? (Statics-moment)

• Thread starter lc99
  • Start date
In summary, the student made a mistake on their final exam by converting millimeters to meters for all the values in the problem. This resulted in incorrect support forces and a mismatch with the actual problem. The mistake was not converting the 450 N-m couple to 0.450 kN-m when using force in kN. However, if this was the only mistake, the student may still receive some credit.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-7_20-32-5.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had this question on my final exam and i think i got the wrong numbers because i converted the mm into meters for all of them. So i kept F=3kN , 450N*m , and 3kN as is and used meters instead of mm for the lengths. Would this affect my final answer?

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-7_20-32-5.png
    upload_2018-5-7_20-32-5.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 675
Physics news on Phys.org
lc99 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 225356

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had this question on my final exam and i think i got the wrong numbers because i converted the mm into meters for all of them. So i kept F=3kN , 450N*m , and 3kN as is and used meters instead of mm for the lengths. Would this affect my final answer?
What was your final answer?
If that was your only mistake, you should get some worthwhile credit.

Changing mm to m is fine but if you use force in kN, then your 450 N-m couple should be converted to 0.450 kN-m. Did you do that?

haruspex said:
What was your final answer?
If that was your only mistake, you should get some worthwhile credit.
For normal force A , i got like -474 kN . So basically i got the wrong support forces and so i used the wrong numbers.

PhanthomJay said:
Changing mm to m is fine but if you use force in kN, then your 450 N-m couple should be converted to 0.450 kN-m. Did you do that?
Ahh man. I did not do that. Uhgh. No wonder nothing matched up.

I did all the steps that needed to be done like finding the equations for shear and bending moments. But it just did not match up with the actual problem. UGH

Related to Did i do this question completely wrong? (Statics-moment)

1. Did I use the correct formula for calculating moment in statics?

It is important to use the correct formula for calculating moment, which is force multiplied by the distance from the pivot point. Make sure to double check the formula and input the correct values for both force and distance.

2. How do I know if my answer for the moment is correct?

The best way to check if your answer for the moment is correct is to use the right-hand rule. Place your right hand on the object in the direction of the force and point your fingers in the direction of the force. Your thumb should point in the direction of the moment, which can be compared to your calculated moment value.

3. Can I use any point as the pivot point when calculating moment in statics?

No, the pivot point must be chosen carefully as it affects the calculation of the moment. It is important to choose a point that is fixed and will not move due to the applied force. The most common choice for the pivot point is the point of contact between the object and the surface it is resting on.

4. What happens if I use the wrong units for force or distance in the moment calculation?

If the wrong units are used in the moment calculation, the final answer will be incorrect. It is important to use consistent units for both force and distance, such as Newtons and meters, to ensure an accurate calculation.

5. Is it possible to have a negative value for moment in statics?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative value for moment in statics. This indicates that the moment is acting in the opposite direction of the force, which can result in a clockwise rotation. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the force and calculate the moment accordingly.