1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance of the final image in a compound microscope

1. Oct 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A compound microscope has an objective of focal length 12 mm and an eyepiece of focal length 50 mm. The lenses have a separation of 90 mm and an object of height 0.3 mm is placed 15 mm from the objective. Calculate: (a) the distance of the intermediate image from the objective; (b) the distance of the final image from (i) the eyepiece, (ii) the objective; (c) the size of the intermediate image; (d) the angular magnification.

Answers: (a) 60 mm; (b) (i) 75 mm, (ii) 15 mm; (c) 1.2 mm; (d) 33.3

2. The attempt at a solution
    (a) (1 / u) + (1 / v) = (1 / f)
    u = 15 mm, f = 12 mm. Plug in and v = 60 mm

(c) (h / ho) = (v / u)
    ho = 0.3 mm, v = 60 mm, u = 15 mm. Plug in and h = 1.2 mm

(d) M = β / α
    α = ho / D = 0.3 / 250 = 1.2 * 10-3
    β = h / (90 mm - 30 mm) = 0.04
    M = 33.3

But (b)? I used this graph from the book for my question.
    145e5c540df9.jpg

And according to this graph the distance of the final image (final virtual image) from the eyepiece is D and is 250 mm. And the distance from FVI to the objective should be more than 15 mm. Maybe I don't quite understand what shall I find. Really stuck on this one. Any help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to find the position of the final image, made by the eyepiece lens. The object is the first image. What is the object distance?

4. Oct 22, 2015 #3
    By object you mean "intermediate real image"?

Is it something like this:
    From (a) we have v = 60 mm for the obj. lens. So u = 30 for the eyepiece lens.

1 / 30 + 1 / v = 1 / 50
    v = - 75 mm. So the distance from the eyepiece is 75 mm and the image is virtual.

Because S = 90 mm, 90 - 75 = 15 mm, distance from the objective.

Is this right? And why is it -75 but in the answer it's just 75? And is the 90-75 way a correct way to find 15 mm? And how come it is not negative?

Sorry for so many questions, a bit confused on this part.

5. Oct 22, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're doing fine. The -75 is correct, and it's a position on a coordinate axis with the objective at the origin.
    The book answer is |-75| mm = 75 mm because they ask for a distance.
    And yes, the virtual image is at position (+90) + (-75) wrt the objective (*), so at | +15| = 15 mm distance from the objective.

(*) relative position wrt objective = relative position of ocular wrt objective + relative position of virtual image wrt ocular

--

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted