Did I do this question correctly?

• Thread starter lanvin
  • Start date
In summary, to determine the magnitude of the largest force that can be applied upward, parallel to the ramp, if the box is to remain at rest, we need to consider the effects of friction and the normal force. The net force on the x-axis must be zero, and the normal force must be greater than the weight of the box in order to keep it in place. Using the formula F = uFN, we can solve for the unknown force to be applied and determine the magnitude to be 152N.
lanvin
Question is:
"A box with a mass of 22kg is at rest on a ramp inclined at 45° to the horizontal. The coefficients of friction between the box and the ramp are µ(s) = 0.78 and µ(k) = 0.65

Determine the magnitude of the largest force that can be applied upward, parallel to the ramp, if the box is to remain at rest."

What I was thinking, is that if the object is at rest, then the net force on the x-axis is zero. So, the magnitude would be the same as the gravity parallel to the ramp...? My calculations:

(22kg)(9.8N/kg)sin45° - F(applied) = 0N
F(applied) = 152N

Is that right, or wrong? Hints or suggestions...?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not include the effect of friction.

Also, you should be clear when you say "x axis". What is the x-axis in your solution?

lanvin said:
Question is:
"A box with a mass of 22kg is at rest on a ramp inclined at 45° to the horizontal. The coefficients of friction between the box and the ramp are µ(s) = 0.78 and µ(k) = 0.65

Determine the magnitude of the largest force that can be applied upward, parallel to the ramp, if the box is to remain at rest."

What I was thinking, is that if the object is at rest, then the net force on the x-axis is zero. So, the magnitude would be the same as the gravity parallel to the ramp...? My calculations:

(22kg)(9.8N/kg)sin45° - F(applied) = 0N
F(applied) = 152N

Is that right, or wrong? Hints or suggestions...?
You forgot that the friction force on the box is also acting down the plane.

152N - F(f)
152N - (0.65)(22kg)(9.8N/kg) = 11.86N

did I do it right?

lanvin said:
152N - F(f)
152N - (0.65)(22kg)(9.8N/kg) = 11.86N

did I do it right?
No. Why did you use the kinetic friction coefficient when it is given that the box is to remain at rest? Also, the normal force acts perpendicular to the incline; it is not equal to its weight. Have you defined your x axis, and identified all the components of the forces acting on the box along and perpendicular to the incline?

Without any added parallel or perpendicular forces, the force of gravity acting parallel to the ramp will move the box downwards. In this case, you're looking for a larger normal force to keep the box in place (think about adding pressure from a hand to prevent the box from slipping). Remember that F = uFN? Add an unknown force to the FN to symbolize the applied force added to the top of the box.

1. How do I know if I did this question correctly?

The best way to know if you did a question correctly is to carefully review your work and compare it to the given answer or solution. You can also ask a teacher or colleague to check your answer and provide feedback.

2. What should I do if I am unsure about my answer?

If you are unsure about your answer, try to rework the problem or use a different approach to solve it. You can also consult a textbook or online resources for similar problems and compare your solution with theirs.

3. Can I use a calculator to check my answer?

Using a calculator can be helpful in checking your answer, but it is important to understand the concepts and equations behind the problem to ensure accuracy. It is also important to use the correct functions and input the values correctly into the calculator.

4. What if my answer is different from the given solution?

If your answer is different from the given solution, it could mean that you made a mistake in your calculations or used a different approach. It is important to review your work and identify any errors. If you still cannot find the mistake, you can ask a teacher or colleague for help.

5. Is there a specific format or method I should follow to answer this question?

It depends on the question and the subject. Some questions may require a specific format or method, while others may allow for more flexibility. It is important to carefully read and understand the question and follow any instructions or guidelines given.