1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did i do this vector problem right?

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a snow-covered ski slope makes an angle of 35 degrees with the horizontal. when a ski jumper plummets onto the hill, a parcel of splashed snow projects to a maximum position of 5 m at 20 degrees from the vertical in the uphill direction. find the components of its maximum position a.) parallel to the surface and b.) perpendicular to the surface.

2. Relevant equations

pythagorean theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

so what i did is i did cos20(5) and got 4.69 for the perpendicular line and sin20(5) and got 1.71 for the parallel line. did i do this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Let me ask if this is supposed to be a simple vector problem or are they expecting that you are supposed to calculate the path of the snow clump through the air and calculate the maximum position along its flight relative to the surface of the slope or to the horizontal that the slope is realtive to?

4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    i think it is relative to the surface of the slope

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?