Did i do this vector problem right?

• Thread starter BeckyStar678
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, a ski jumper plummets onto a snow-covered ski slope at a 35 degree angle with the horizontal. A parcel of splashed snow projects to a maximum position of 5 m at a 20 degree angle from the vertical in the uphill direction. To find the components of its maximum position, the pythagorean theorem is used. The perpendicular line is calculated to be 4.69 m and the parallel line is calculated to be 1.71 m. It is unclear if the problem is meant to be a simple vector problem or if the path of the snow clump through the air and its maximum position relative to the surface of the slope is expected to be calculated.
BeckyStar678

Homework Statement

a snow-covered ski slope makes an angle of 35 degrees with the horizontal. when a ski jumper plummets onto the hill, a parcel of splashed snow projects to a maximum position of 5 m at 20 degrees from the vertical in the uphill direction. find the components of its maximum position a.) parallel to the surface and b.) perpendicular to the surface.

Homework Equations

pythagorean theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

so what i did is i did cos20(5) and got 4.69 for the perpendicular line and sin20(5) and got 1.71 for the parallel line. did i do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
BeckyStar678 said:

Homework Statement

a snow-covered ski slope makes an angle of 35 degrees with the horizontal. when a ski jumper plummets onto the hill, a parcel of splashed snow projects to a maximum position of 5 m at 20 degrees from the vertical in the uphill direction. find the components of its maximum position a.) parallel to the surface and b.) perpendicular to the surface.

Homework Equations

pythagorean theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

so what i did is i did cos20(5) and got 4.69 for the perpendicular line and sin20(5) and got 1.71 for the parallel line. did i do this right?

Let me ask if this is supposed to be a simple vector problem or are they expecting that you are supposed to calculate the path of the snow clump through the air and calculate the maximum position along its flight relative to the surface of the slope or to the horizontal that the slope is realtive to?

LowlyPion said:
Let me ask if this is supposed to be a simple vector problem or are they expecting that you are supposed to calculate the path of the snow clump through the air and calculate the maximum position along its flight relative to the surface of the slope or to the horizontal that the slope is realtive to?

i think it is relative to the surface of the slope

1. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. Vectors are commonly represented using arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do I know if I did a vector problem correctly?

The best way to know if you did a vector problem correctly is to check your answer against the given information and equations. Make sure your answer has the correct units and direction, and that it makes logical sense in the context of the problem. You can also ask a friend or teacher to review your solution and provide feedback.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems include forgetting to account for the direction of the vector, using the wrong units, and not properly setting up or following the given equations. It is also important to check your calculations for accuracy and to double check your final answer.

4. Do I need to know any specific formulas or equations to solve vector problems?

Yes, there are several formulas and equations that are commonly used in vector problems. These include the Pythagorean theorem, trigonometric functions, and vector addition and subtraction equations. It is important to familiarize yourself with these formulas and know when to apply them in different types of vector problems.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving vector problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving vector problems is to practice regularly. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to review and understand the underlying concepts and formulas, and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. Additionally, try to solve problems using different methods and approaches to further enhance your understanding and problem-solving abilities.