Vector Addition Help: Find Resultant of 5 Vectors

In summary: Use the same sign conventions for angles as I did for vector 1.In summary, the problem asks for the resultant of five vectors with given directions and magnitudes of 1/2", 5", 1", 3", and 1". The first vector is 20 degrees east of south, the second is 80 degrees south of west, the third is 15 degrees west of north, the fourth is 35 degrees north of east, and the fifth is 40 degrees south of east. The resultant of these vectors was calculated using both graphical and numerical methods, with the final result being 31.55. However, there may be discrepancies in the calculations due to incorrect x and y components being used.
katieb123

Homework Statement

Find the resultant for the following directions.
20 degrees east of south for 1/2"
80 degrees South of west for 5"
15 degrees west of north for 1"
35 degrees North of East for 3"
40 degrees South of East for 1"

Homework Equations

R2 = a2 + b2

The Attempt at a Solution

i graphed the measurements with each 5" = 1/2" on graph paper. then i connected the tail of the first vector to the head of the end point and measured the resultant but when i calculated it i got 31.55, to calculate this i found the x,y for each vector. vector 1- 4.69,-1.71. vector 2- - and -8.68, -49.24. vector 3- -9.66, 2.59. vector 4- 24.57, 17.21, vector 5- 8.19, -5.74. i added up the totals for each x and y then used the resultant formula to get the resultant to be 31.55. is that correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your calculations!

i showed calculations can you help?

katieb123 said:
i graphed the measurements with each 5" = 1/2" on graph paper. then i connected the tail of the first vector to the head of the end point and measured the resultant but when i calculated it i got 31.55,

31.55 was a value you measured on the graph paper, or was it a numerical calculation? Perhaps I'm not clear on what the point of the exercise is. Is the idea to find the resultant by graphical method or by numerical calculation? Or both?

to calculate this i found the x,y for each vector. vector 1- 4.69,-1.71. vector 2- - and -8.68, -49.24. vector 3- -9.66, 2.59. vector 4- 24.57, 17.21, vector 5- 8.19, -5.74. i added up the totals for each x and y then used the resultant formula to get the resultant to be 31.55. is that correct?

Can you pick a vector, say vector 1, and show how you found the x and y components?

31.55 was found by calculations. i was asked to find both ways graphically and by calculator.

i found the vectors x, y by plugging it in my calculator in an app

katieb123 said:
31.55 was found by calculations. i was asked to find both ways graphically and by calculator.

katieb123 said:
i found the vectors x, y by plugging it in my calculator in an app

Okay. I think your calculator app is giving you the x & y components in reverse order (or you're swapping them somehow), and they seem to be multiplied by 10.

If we take a Cartesian coordinate system where y is North and x is East, then for the first vector the angle is 20° East of South, which is -90° + 20° = -70°. The components are

x = (1/2)*cos(-70°) ; y = (1/2)*sin(-70°)

x = 0.1710 ; y = -0.4698

You should verify that your app gives you these results for the components of vector 1. After that, construct a table with the magnitude, angle, and components for each vector.

Related to Vector Addition Help: Find Resultant of 5 Vectors

1. What is vector addition and why is it important in science?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors together to find their resultant, which represents the sum of their magnitudes and directions. It is important in science because many physical quantities, such as velocity and force, are represented by vectors and their addition allows us to accurately calculate their combined effects.

2. How do I find the resultant of 5 vectors?

To find the resultant of 5 vectors, you can use the graphical or analytical method. In the graphical method, you draw each vector to scale on a graph and then construct a parallelogram using the vectors as adjacent sides. The diagonal of the parallelogram represents the resultant. In the analytical method, you break down each vector into its x and y components and then add the components separately to find the resultant components. The magnitude and direction of the resultant can then be calculated using trigonometry.

3. Can vectors be added in any order?

Yes, vectors can be added in any order as long as they are added using the head-to-tail method. This means that the tail of one vector is placed at the head of the previous vector, and the resultant is drawn from the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector.

4. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities have only magnitude, or size, and no direction. Examples of scalar quantities include distance, speed, and temperature. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of vector quantities include displacement, velocity, and force.

5. Are there any real-world applications of vector addition?

Yes, vector addition has numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, in engineering, vector addition is used to calculate the combined forces acting on a structure, while in navigation, it is used to determine the direction and magnitude of an object's motion. In physics, vector addition is used to determine the net force acting on an object and its resulting acceleration.