Did I get screwed royally? (car maintenance related)

• Thread starter SELFMADE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    maintenance
In summary, Lisa went to a mechanic and he replaced the brake pads, belts, and large pulley. He also replaced the oil and filter. The parts cost $150 and the labour cost $100.
SELFMADE
Drum brakes replaced
Two belts replaced
Large pulley replaced (didn't fully understood why though, mechanic just said need to)
Oil and filter

Parts: 150 (bought all parts myself)
Labor: 100

I was reluctant to pay the labor but for the sake of having a quasi-personal mechanic I felt obliged.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many hours of work did it take?

Not really. Replacing drum brakes is a royal pain in the butt. 100 bucks for labour is pretty cheap. Replacing belts isn't a walk in the park either.

$ 100 for labor sounds good to me. As for the large pulley, they have a rubber bushing (damper) that deteriorates with time. If the bushing is worn or rotted the belts don't line up properly.

Last edited:
If the car is small, has an inline 4, and the parts you bought were good quality, then you got yourself a pretty good deal.

lisab said:
How many hours of work did it take?

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for taking your time. I went to his house at 10:30am and got out of there at 10:00pm. I'd say he worked on my car for about 4 hours

thanks everyone for making it possible for me to sleep at tonight!

you guys are all right!

SELFMADE said:
thanks everyone for making it possible for me to sleep at tonight!

you guys are all right!

Don't forget it either!

I meant alright! not correct in factual sense.

Well I didn't even see that. nice catch.

As someone who has messed with those stupid caliper springs on a rusted out POS, I say the labor on just the brakes alone is worth double watch you paid..take it and run.

Or next time try doing it yourself. When you're done swearing at your car, and beating it helplessly with a pair of vice grips, tow the car to the nice mechanic, smile and say "thank you sir", and take it as a lesson learned.

Same reason you don't change your own oil. You CAN do it, but for the hassle, just pay the nice man and move on.

Generally speaking, labour costs should be about twice that of parts.
So... if anybody got screwed here, it wasn't you.

1. Is there a way to tell if I got ripped off by my mechanic?

It is difficult to determine if you were truly "screwed" by your mechanic, as prices for car maintenance can vary depending on location and the specific repairs needed. It is always a good idea to get a second opinion or compare prices from other mechanics.

2. What are some common signs that I may have been overcharged for car maintenance?

Some red flags that may indicate you were overcharged for car maintenance include a sudden and significant increase in the total cost of repairs, being charged for unnecessary repairs or services, or not receiving a detailed breakdown of the charges.

3. Can I negotiate the cost of car maintenance with my mechanic?

In most cases, the price of car maintenance is non-negotiable. However, if you feel that you have been overcharged or are unhappy with the service provided, it is always worth discussing your concerns with your mechanic and trying to come to a resolution.

4. Are there any resources available to help me determine fair prices for car maintenance?

Yes, there are several resources available online that can help you estimate the cost of car maintenance based on your location and the specific repairs needed. It is also a good idea to ask for quotes from multiple mechanics to compare prices.

5. What should I do if I suspect I was taken advantage of by my mechanic?

If you believe you were unfairly charged for car maintenance, you can file a complaint with your state's Attorney General's office or the Better Business Bureau. It is also important to leave reviews or feedback on the mechanic's website or social media pages to warn others about your experience.