Chicken tenders left out for 6 hours, are they safe to eat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 11K views
I assume you survived. Really, 6 hours is not a big deal. When I was a kid, and before everyone was paranoid about bacteria, that was the normal defrosting time for anything frozen...take the meat out from the freezer in the morning before Mom went to work, and leave it out on the counter to defrost all day so it was ready to cook when she got home. As long as you cook it thoroughly, it should be fine. I would not put it back in the fridge to use another day though.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're really paranoid about bacteria, you can put frozen foods in a sealed container (like a covered bowl) to defrost. It may surprise you how long it takes for a package of frozen food to thaw in such an environment, so this could take a bit of practice, but give it a try. If I have frozen meat or seafood to defrost and I'm around to monitor it, I set the package on a dinner-plate on a counter and let it go. If it could take a while to thaw due to the mass of the package, I might cover the plate with a dish-towel so that the food on the outsides of the package does not get too warm while the insides thaw. Never, ever have gotten food-poisoning at home.
 
brewnog said:
Medical treatment for salmonella? You guys really are wimps! Just put a bog roll in the fridge and don't venture too far from the khazi.

OK, I'll bite. What's a bog roll, and a khazi?
 
Bog roll is a toilet roll (roll of toilet tissue :smile:) from the word bog (think it has UK origin) for toilet. Have no clue where khazi comes from, but I'm guessing it's a synonym for toilet.
 
redargon said:
Bog roll is a toilet roll (roll of toilet tissue :smile:) from the word bog (think it has UK origin) for toilet. Have no clue where khazi comes from, but I'm guessing it's a synonym for toilet.

Got it. Put the Sears in the icebox and stay close to the glory hole.

But why are we putting TP in the frig again?
 
Phrak said:
why are we putting TP in the frig again?
Perhaps for the numbing effect of the cold...?