Did life spring from "fossil fuels" rather than vice versa?

• Thread starter David Carroll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Spring
In summary, the abiotic theory of fossil fuels is a Soviet attempt to explain the source and formation of petroleum that is mostly debunked.
David Carroll
I was recently doing some thinking about the relation between fossil fuels and organisms. First of all, how do scientists know for sure that fossil fuels are derived from prehistoric life? Do they assume this because fossil fuels are made of organic compounds and therefore must have come from organic beings?

Is it possible that reservoirs of so-called fossil fuels were really the result of completely geological or astrophysical processes? And perhaps the first complex organic compounds came from the "simple" organic compounds contained in pools of fossil fuel?

If we admit this as a possibility, it would put a dent in the perplexity about how complex bio-chemical molecules were "created", I believe.

Biology news on Phys.org
David Carroll said:
I was recently doing some thinking

Quit the thinking and start with some research.

The mechanisms that fossil fuels are formed by is well understood.

In science, conclusions are not leapt upon based on assumptions.

David Carroll said:
I was recently doing some thinking about the relation between fossil fuels and organisms. First of all, how do scientists know for sure that fossil fuels are derived from prehistoric life? Do they assume this because fossil fuels are made of organic compounds and therefore must have come from organic beings?

Is it possible that reservoirs of so-called fossil fuels were really the result of completely geological or astrophysical processes? And perhaps the first complex organic compounds came from the "simple" organic compounds contained in pools of fossil fuel?

If we admit this as a possibility, it would put a dent in the perplexity about how complex bio-chemical molecules were "created", I believe.
If you are referring to the old "abiotic oil" theory, it's pretty much debunked. We've discussed it here before.

The abiotic oil hypothesis is an attempt to explain the source and formation of petroleum. As the name suggests, the hypothesis proposes that oil originates from non-biological origins.

The hypothesis is mostly Soviet, mostly archaic, and mostly debunked. In the Anglophone world, abiotic oil proponents tend to cite the work of the late astrophysicist Thomas Gold.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Abiotic_oil

A good link on fossil fuel. http://www.fe.doe.gov/education/energylessons/coal/gen_howformed.html

Interesting links. I've always been amused by some of the Soviet scientists, who would insist that their hypotheses were correct because, either subconsciously or consciously, they had ramifications that would boost the respectability of Dialectical Materialism. Lysenko's theories vaguely alluded to the equality of all beings, or at least of humans. I can see why the abiotic view of fossil fuels would do quite a favor to the dogmatic rejection of God.

David Carroll said:
I can see why the abiotic view of fossil fuels would do quite a favor to the dogmatic rejection of God.
rofl-4b.png

Likes billy_joule
Are you laughing with me or at me, zoki85?

I think I can correctly deduce that you are laughing at me. Otherwise billy_joule would have liked both your post and mine.

David Carroll said:
Are you laughing with me or at me, zoki85?
Just laughing. The sentence made me laugh instantly. I didn't see something like that coming :)

I see. I'm really not that sensitive, though. *Morrissey plays in the background...*

There is no basis for the abiotic theory of fossil fuels. Given that PF exists to discuss questions related to current mainstream science there's nowhere this thread can continue within the rules.

I must admit I haven't heard of such theory yet (it is cool but crazy). Matter of fact, during first quick reading of the thread I captured it like "antibiotic fossil fuels". :w :DD But it was late night...

1. What are fossil fuels and how are they related to life?

Fossil fuels are non-renewable energy sources that are formed from the remains of living organisms, such as plants and animals, that lived millions of years ago. They are related to life because they are made up of the carbon and energy stored in these ancient organisms.

2. Is there evidence to support the idea that life came from fossil fuels?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that life originated from fossil fuels. Fossil fuels are formed from the decomposition of already existing life forms, rather than being the source of life itself.

3. Can fossil fuels be considered a type of "primordial soup" that gave rise to life?

No, fossil fuels cannot be considered a type of "primordial soup". The primordial soup theory suggests that life began from a mixture of organic compounds in a warm, watery environment, while fossil fuels are the remains of once-living organisms that have undergone a process of heat and pressure over millions of years.

4. Are there other theories about the origin of life besides the idea that it came from fossil fuels?

Yes, there are various theories about the origin of life, including the primordial soup theory, the panspermia theory, and the RNA world theory. These theories propose different explanations for how life began on Earth.

5. What impact does the use of fossil fuels have on life today?

The use of fossil fuels has a significant impact on life today, as it is a major contributor to climate change and air pollution. The extraction, transportation, and burning of fossil fuels also have negative effects on the environment and human health. It is important to transition to renewable energy sources to mitigate these impacts.