Did Mercury and Gemini use the same capsule?

• Thread starter dotancohen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mercury
In summary, Gemini capsules were similar in design because the constraints were similar and the people who designed them were the same.
dotancohen
I've been looking for information on the design of the Mercury and Gemini capsules. I know that Mercury was a single seater and Gemini a two seater, and I know that the retro rockets were completely different. But other than that the two capsules seem very similar. Was the Gemini capsule a derivative of the Mercury capsule? Is the style (even the ribs on the bodywork) just the best way to get the job done, resulting in a similar appearance for completely different projects (Like the STS and Buran orbiters)?

For that matter, why is the bodywork ribbed? Is it to dissipate heat on reentry? It sure looks like the _opposite_ of what one would expect from an aerodynamic viewpoint, at least for launch.

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Googling the dimensions will tell you they are not the same capsule. Yes, the design is similar because the design constraints are similar, plus the people who designed them were the same people! I wouldn't use the Buran and Space Shuttle as an example, though, as the Buran was likely an actual copycat design. Note that our capsules and the Russians' capsules look nothing alike.

The ribs are for expansion when heated, so they don't deform (the SR-71 was also ribbed) and the capsule was not designed to be aerodynamic. The purpose of the shape was to dissipate heat and slow it down.

russ_watters said:
Googling the dimensions will tell you they are not the same capsule. Yes, the design is similar because the design constraints are similar, plus the people who designed them were the same people! I wouldn't use the Buran and Space Shuttle as an example, though, as the Buran was likely an actual copycat design. Note that our capsules and the Russians' capsules look nothing alike.

I did understand that it was not the _exact_ same capsule, but even my Ford Focus has different dimensions than the Mazda 3, even though they are both based on the same chassis. That is why I figured that it may be a derivative design. I did not realize that it was the same people who designed them both! I wonder did they start with a blank sheet of paper and come to similar conclusions for Gemini, or did they start with some Mercury components and build from there.

russ_watters said:
The ribs are for expansion when heated, so they don't deform (the SR-71 was also ribbed) and the capsule was not designed to be aerodynamic. The purpose of the shape was to dissipate heat and slow it down.

Thanks, I did not know that the Blackbirds were also ribbed. That is interesting, I remember once reading about how they would expand, in fact I think that they leaked fuel when cool on the ground. They would heat up the airframe then refuel in flight.

For technical details on just about any aspect of manned space exploration you cannot do better than http://astronautix.com/" .

The specifics on http://astronautix.com/project/mercury.htm" can be found via the links.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Ophiolite! That is a great site!

It also pretty much confirms what I had suspected: "Gemini was conceived as an 'upgraded Mercury' "

1. What is the difference between the Mercury and Gemini capsules?

The Mercury and Gemini capsules were both used by NASA for manned space missions in the 1960s. The main difference between the two is their size and capabilities. The Mercury capsule was smaller and designed for shorter missions, while the Gemini capsule was larger and could hold two astronauts for longer missions. Additionally, the Gemini capsule had more advanced systems and could perform orbital rendezvous and docking maneuvers.

2. Did Mercury and Gemini use the same type of fuel?

Yes, both the Mercury and Gemini capsules used a combination of liquid oxygen and a fuel called RP-1, which is a highly refined form of kerosene. This combination was used to power the rockets that launched the capsules into space.

3. Were the Mercury and Gemini capsules built by the same company?

Yes, both the Mercury and Gemini capsules were built by the McDonnell Aircraft Corporation (now part of Boeing). However, the Gemini capsule was a more complex and advanced design, so it required more time and resources to build.

4. How many astronauts could fit inside the Mercury and Gemini capsules?

The Mercury capsule was designed to hold only one astronaut, while the Gemini capsule could hold two. This allowed for more advanced missions and experiments to be carried out during the Gemini program.

5. What were the main objectives of the Mercury and Gemini programs?

The main objective of the Mercury program was to put a man in space and safely return him to Earth. The Gemini program built upon this by focusing on developing the technology and techniques necessary for longer and more complex space missions, such as orbital rendezvous and spacewalks. Both programs were crucial steps in NASA's goal of landing astronauts on the moon during the Apollo program.