The First Spaceship: A Cost-Effective & Modular Multi-Purpose Craft

• Thread starter Who Am I
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spaceship
In summary, the conversation discusses a potential spacecraft that could potentially save money and make it easier to travel to Mars. It would be similar to the International Space Station and have ion or plasma thrusters, making refueling stations unnecessary. The estimated cost for construction and launching is around 3 billion dollars, with additional costs for development. The idea was also criticized for being purely speculative and not relevant to the engineering forum.
Who Am I
The First "Spaceship"

This should maybe be NASA's first goal, money saver and way to get to Mars. It is less than the title makes it look like.

It would be similar in scale to the International Space Station, it would have ion or plasma thrusters, it would be modular and would be versatile in that you could put various landers on it. Basically, it's an all-in-one vehicle that eliminates the need for refueling stations because of the engines that would be the offspring of something like the VASIMR rocket engine.

The only thing that one would need to make for each mission following the construction of such a craft is different landers. Because the landers themselves would simply reattach to the craft after returning from the surface of a planet, astronauts could return to the Earth on whatever we end up replacing the space shuttle with.

A reasonable size might be around 8 separate capsules, plus supplies and resupplies. So, at 500 million per capsule launch, plus 50 million for the capsule that gives a price somewhere in the vicinity of 3 billion dollars in just construction and launching. Development could cost many more billions, but so would any other alternative so it's a constant factor and therefore not a factor to consider against other projects. A major factor in reducing price is the long lasting engines which could be computer controlled to keep the craft unmanned for periods of time without exploration so that constant resupply isn't needed, unlike the space station, which will cost many billions of dollars in resupply.

Obama proposed going to an asteroid and then Mars orbit and then a more loose goal of someday landing on it. What a craft like this could do is go to the moon, an asteroid and Mars more cheaply than going to an asteroid and then Mars with two separate spacecraft .

This is another developmental idea that I've had and would like some ideas and constructive feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org

I love it how you pull these numbers from an empty top hat. Can you teach me this trick?

Borek said:
I love it how you pull these numbers from an empty top hat. Can you teach me this trick?

It's not an estimate. It's a guess to size up whether or not its worth considering that I based of the price of an average space shuttle launch: 500 million dollars and kept it constant because of the reduction in cost of new technology plus the cost of having to send a whole capsule up there. Second of all, I didn't attempt to reason out any numbers for the rest of the project that I know nothing about, such as the cost of development and all the various new technology that is needed.

Second, must you invent criticisms that aren't there? Honestly, the vagueness of the cost is pretty obvious. If you want to be at all relevant to the discussion, maybe you could try to make a realistic point for the price.

Third, you should actually put in some input to the rest of the idea! That's what forums are for, though I do know from years of forum going that people love to try to dominate one another in how they look intellectually. How easy it is to make a trite meaningless comment that holds no water and look like an expert.

Honestly...

And to satisfy you and protect the post from redundant criticisms like this, I'll ammend it with a much more vague price range, but only after you or someone helps me come up with a better price range. Or maybe I'm just tired and it's 3 AM and I made a booboo and you have to make a big deal about it.

You should really start reading forum rules. Your post is a pure speculation.

Who_am_I, this is not the "imagineering forums."

Cyrus said:
Who_am_I, this is not the "imagineering forums."

Agreed. This is an engineering form. Thread closed pending moderation.

1. What is the purpose of "The First Spaceship"?

The purpose of "The First Spaceship" is to provide a cost-effective and modular multi-purpose craft for space exploration. It is designed to be versatile and adaptable for various missions, including scientific research, transportation of cargo and astronauts, and potentially even interstellar travel.

2. How is "The First Spaceship" different from other spacecrafts?

"The First Spaceship" stands out from other spacecrafts due to its cost-effective and modular design. It is also designed to be easily upgradable and customizable for different missions, rather than being limited to a specific purpose.

3. What materials are used to construct "The First Spaceship"?

The materials used to construct "The First Spaceship" are lightweight and durable, such as carbon fiber and titanium. These materials are able to withstand the harsh conditions of space and can also be easily replaced or repaired if needed.

4. How long does it take to build "The First Spaceship"?

The time it takes to build "The First Spaceship" will depend on the resources available and the complexity of the design. However, with its modular design, it can be constructed in stages, allowing for a quicker assembly process compared to traditional spacecrafts.

5. What is the expected lifespan of "The First Spaceship"?

The expected lifespan of "The First Spaceship" is difficult to determine as it will depend on the maintenance and upgrades performed throughout its use. However, with its durable materials and adaptable design, it is expected to have a longer lifespan than traditional spacecrafts.