Did Netwton actually think "gravity " was "absurd"?

• B
  • Thread starter zanick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: He said that Gravity is like a force between particles, but it is more than that. Gravity is the fundamental force that controls the behavior of everything in the universe.
zanick
TL;DR Summary
In one of Newtons famous letters to Richard Bentley he talks about gravity as if it is "absurd".. is it the way in which he is speaking or referencing the letters sent to him by Bentley, or does he really think gravity is an "absurd concept?
http://www.google.it.ao/books?id=4q...=editions:ISBN0803974612&lr=&output=html_text
The last clause of the second position I like very well. It is inconceivable, that inanimate brute matter should, without the mediation of something else, which is not material, operate upon and affect other matter without mutual contact, as it must be, if gravitation, in the sense of Epicurus, be essential and inherent in it. And this is one reason why I desired you would not ascribe innate gravity to me. That gravity should be innate, inherent, and essential to matter, so that one body may act upon another at a distance through a vacuum, without the mediation of any thing else, by and through which their action and force may be conveyed from one to another, is to me so great an absurdity, that I believe no man, who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking, can ever fall into it. Gravity must be caused by an agent acting constantly according to certain laws; but whether this agent be material or immaterial, I have left to the consideration of my readers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton was a genius of his time. He treated gravity as an attractive force between 2 objects , but found it absurd that two masses could attract each other and produce a non-contact force acting at a distance through space. That’s why he said gravity must be something else other than an attractive force at a distance( As if acting like a magnet.).

. Well he was right, proven later by the other genius, Einstein, that gravity is really spacetime curvature in the presence of mass and energy. Newton’s formulas however give extremely good results for non-relativistic cases.

Likes vanhees71
thanks for the reply... so, since he got it before Einstein, it doesn't take away from there being a force, or "non force", but the cause was left to be discovered.

Yes, but until a quantum of theory of gravity is discovered, the book is still open. The great late Stephen Hawking, a strong proponent of M-Theory, treated Gravity like a God (see his book , “ The Grand Design”).

1. Did Newton really think that gravity was absurd?

Yes, there is evidence that Newton did believe that the concept of gravity was initially absurd. In his writings, he described his initial reaction to the idea of objects being attracted to each other without physical contact as "inconceivable" and "absurd". However, he later developed his theory of gravity and became one of the most influential scientists in history.

2. What led Newton to change his mind about gravity?

Newton's change of mind about gravity can be attributed to his extensive research and experimentation. He studied the works of other scientists, such as Galileo and Kepler, and conducted his own experiments to understand the laws of motion and the effects of gravity. Through this process, he was able to develop his theory of universal gravitation.

3. Did anyone else believe in gravity before Newton?

Yes, the concept of gravity has been studied and theorized by many scientists before Newton. Ancient Greek philosophers, such as Aristotle, proposed ideas about gravity, and later scientists like Galileo and Kepler also had their own theories. However, Newton's theory of gravity was the first to be backed by mathematical equations and extensive research, making it the most widely accepted explanation.

4. Did Newton's contemporaries believe in his theory of gravity?

Not all of Newton's contemporaries believed in his theory of gravity initially. Some, like Robert Hooke, challenged his ideas and criticized his work. However, as Newton's theory gained more recognition and evidence, it became widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. How did Newton's theory of gravity impact the scientific world?

Newton's theory of gravity had a profound impact on the scientific world. It provided a mathematical explanation for the force that governs the motion of objects in the universe and laid the foundation for modern physics. His theory also allowed for the prediction and understanding of astronomical phenomena, such as the motion of planets and the tides. It continues to be a fundamental concept in physics and has led to further advancements and discoveries in the field.