Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did supernovae have anything to do with the solar creation?

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1
    Some of my friends claim that the solar creation had something to do with a supernova. I have no idea about that. Can you please explain?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A supernova can cause a shock that compresses nearby gas and can kick start other star formation.

4. Jan 12, 2008 #3
    Thanks Kurdt
    So that means not all the solar systems need a supernova to be formed?

5. Jan 12, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope. SN can trigger the collapse of the cloud, but other mechanism can do that too. Like expanding HII regions, strong stellar winds etc.

6. Jan 12, 2008 #5
    or the formation of other star clusters

7. Jan 12, 2008 #6
    Thank you all for the helps.

I have one more question and I think it's not worth to open a new thread.

In our solar system, we can see all kinds of elements and these elements probaly rooted from the proto-planetary disk. So the interstelar gas which formed the disk must contain these elements and it must have been the products of certain supernovae in the ancient universe.
    I am right ?

8. Jan 12, 2008 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well yes. And aslo from stellar winds from AGB stars etc. And aslo if our solar system was formed by a SN triggered the collapse, elements from it should have been injected. Evidence for this is the existence of the short lived Al-26, which we can traces from in very old meteroties. This is called "Isotopic anomalies in meteroties", and I have written an essay about this in my "Nuclear astrophysics course".

send me a PM if you are intressted in reading it :)

9. Jan 12, 2008 #8

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Theory requires some kind of 'kick' to start nebula collapse into star system(s), a super nova would generate a pressure wave, which would provide such a 'kick', but is there any evidence?

The Allende meteorite might tell us something about the formation of the Solar System.

The proposed supernova seems to have been dated just before the Solar System formed, as in this Nature article:
    If there was indeed a Allende meteorite Super Nova, could it have been the one that triggered our own Solar System's formation? It is an intriguing possibility.

Garth

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  10. Jan 12, 2008 #9

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?