Did supernovae have anything to do with the solar creation?

In summary: This will give a list of articles about the meteorite. One article in particular discusses the evidence for a supernova that may have triggered the formation of our Solar System.
pixel01
Some of my friends claim that the solar creation had something to do with a supernova. I have no idea about that. Can you please explain?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A supernova can cause a shock that compresses nearby gas and can kick start other star formation.

Thanks Kurdt
So that means not all the solar systems need a supernova to be formed?

pixel01 said:
Thanks Kurdt
So that means not all the solar systems need a supernova to be formed?

Nope. SN can trigger the collapse of the cloud, but other mechanism can do that too. Like expanding HII regions, strong stellar winds etc.

or the formation of other star clusters

Thank you all for the helps.

I have one more question and I think it's not worth to open a new thread.

In our solar system, we can see all kinds of elements and these elements probably rooted from the proto-planetary disk. So the interstelar gas which formed the disk must contain these elements and it must have been the products of certain supernovae in the ancient universe.
I am right ?

well yes. And aslo from stellar winds from AGB stars etc. And aslo if our solar system was formed by a SN triggered the collapse, elements from it should have been injected. Evidence for this is the existence of the short lived Al-26, which we can traces from in very old meteroties. This is called "Isotopic anomalies in meteroties", and I have written an essay about this in my "Nuclear astrophysics course".

send me a PM if you are intressted in reading it :)

Theory requires some kind of 'kick' to start nebula collapse into star system(s), a super nova would generate a pressure wave, which would provide such a 'kick', but is there any evidence?

The Allende meteorite might tell us something about the formation of the Solar System.

The Allende meteorite also contains fine-grained, microscopic diamonds with strange isotopic signatures that point to an extrasolar origin; these interstellar grains are older than the Solar System and probably the product of a nearby supernova.
The proposed supernova seems to have been dated just before the Solar System formed, as in this Nature article:
The extensive investigation of the Allende meteorite has provided much new information on the early history of our Solar System. The findings include small but significant anomalies of the isotopic composition for several elements which are clearly not due to any of the processes hitherto known to cause such variations (see ref. 1 for review). These anomalies seem to confirm the reality of astrophysical concepts developed since the classical paper of Burbidge et al. 2 on the different modes of origin of the nuclei. Evidence has also been found which points to the possible presence in Allende of pre-solar condensates. Jessberger and Dominik3 have presented data to support an earlier result4 according to which the 40Ar gas retention ages of some white inclusions from Allende exceed the canonical age of the Solar System. These gas retention ages were obtained by 40Ar−39Ar dating, however, and are therefore based on the assumption that the 39K/40K ratio in the inclusions is identical to that used in the reference standard. In view of the far-reaching implications of finding in meteorites solid matter pre-dating by roughly 500 Myr the condensation of the Solar System we have attempted to verify this assumption. This is especially important because the Allende inclusions contain elements with an anomalous isotopic composition.
If there was indeed a Allende meteorite Super Nova, could it have been the one that triggered our own Solar System's formation? It is an intriguing possibility.

Garth

Last edited:
http://eaa.crcpress.com/default.asp

search for "Allende meteorite".

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is an extremely powerful and explosive event that occurs when a star reaches the end of its life. It is characterized by a sudden and dramatic increase in brightness, followed by a gradual fading away.

2. How do supernovae relate to the creation of the solar system?

Supernovae played a crucial role in the creation of the solar system. The explosion of a supernova releases elements such as carbon, oxygen, and iron into the universe, which are essential building blocks for planets, including our own.

3. Did a supernova directly contribute to the formation of our sun?

It is believed that a nearby supernova explosion may have triggered the collapse of a molecular cloud, leading to the formation of our sun and the rest of the solar system. However, this theory is still being studied and has not been conclusively proven.

4. Can we still observe the remnants of the supernova that contributed to the solar system's creation?

Yes, the remnants of the supernova that contributed to the solar system's creation can still be observed. The Crab Nebula, for example, is the remnant of a supernova that occurred in 1054 AD and is still visible in the night sky.

5. Are there any ongoing studies or research about the role of supernovae in the creation of the solar system?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and research being conducted to further understand the role of supernovae in the creation of the solar system. Scientists use telescopes and advanced technology to study supernovae and their effects on the surrounding environment, providing valuable insights into the formation of our solar system and the universe as a whole.