Did the Oceans Cause the Extinction of the Woolly Mammoth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andre
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 10K views
Thanks Andre, I can view your presentation in animation too..
I am learning new things here..
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Ouabache said:
Thanks Andre, I can view your presentation in animation too..
I am learning new things here..

You're welcome and there is plenty more where this is coming from. For instance the methane hydrate events in the Nordic seas are in pace with the 100,000 years cycle as seen in the Antarctic ice cores, See http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V9Y-4GY89XG-3&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2005&_alid=831212007&_rdoc=3&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_cdi=5911&_docanchor=&view=c&_ct=7&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=68346cb2f38caf58685799820c9b117f.

But similar things happened at the mouth of the Amazon: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VBC-4N2D64D-2&_user=10&_coverDate=04%2F30%2F2007&_alid=831217205&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_cdi=5923&_docanchor=&view=c&_ct=7&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=b01dfbf6718cccf4065ce8b81db28fbf.

Apparantly the oceans went rogue at times, causing destabilisation of methane hydrate and also http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/1138679v1 into the atrmosphere, but why and how and what is cause and what is effect?

I'm sure they are on to something, but what? It should be clear though that -contrary the assessment of the IPCC- we are nowhere near understanding the influence of the oceans on paleo climate
 
Last edited: