Did the universe have a begining?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the new model suggests that the universe may have existed forever, resolved multiple problems at once, and may have been in a hot, dense state earlier than previously thought. It is also possible that with better detectors we might some day be able to see light from earlier than what now is CMB.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I think it is correct to say the farthest light we can see is about Z=7' it would be remiss of us to think astronomers will not find light from higher values of Z in the future.

My question is how old IS the univeres.

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

(Phys.org) —The universe may have existed forever, according to a new model that applies quantum correction terms to complement Einstein's theory of general relativity. The model may also account for dark matter and dark energy, resolving multiple problems at once

Space news on Phys.org
There was a fairly long discussion about that paper not long ago in this forum, in the following thread : https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/ali-and-das-cosmology-from-quantum-potential.797183

As to your question, I don't think anyone knows. It may have existed forever (not just in the Ali & Das view, but in lots of quantum cosmology models), or just for 14bn years. "At least 14 bn years" seems to be fairly well established though. And also that going back that far it was in a hot, dense state.

But as to seing light emitted in the past, this is limited to less than 14 bn years, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background.

Last edited:
wolram said:
I think it is correct to say the farthest light we can see is about Z=7'
correct.

it would be remiss of us to think astronomers will not find light from higher values of Z in the future.
incorrect. The CMB IS the farthest back we can see "light". It is possible that with better detectors we might some day be able to see gravity waves and/or neutrinos from earlier than 400,000 years, but not electromagnetic radiation.

Likes pinball1970
I thought that it was considered unlikely that we could ever observe anything prior to what now is CMB.
'Unlikely' does not mean impossible though, but until it ever does become possible, events prior to the recombination event. are all speculative, some guesses being more reasonable based on physics we know about with high confidence.
However there is a lot of uncertainty of the physics prior to recombination.
Best guess appears to be that the observable universe was approximately 379,000 years old when it occurred.

rootone said:
I thought that it was considered unlikely that we could ever observe anything prior to what now is CMB.
'Unlikely' does not mean impossible though, but until it ever does become possible, events prior to the recombination event. are all speculative, some guesses being more reasonable based on physics we know about with high confidence.
However there is a lot of uncertainty of the physics prior to recombination.
Best guess appears to be that the observable universe was approximately 379,000 years old when it occurred.
In terms of direct observation, the CMB is only a restriction for how far back we can see electromagnetic radiation ("light"). With better detectors it is possible that some day we may be able to detect gravity waves and/or neutrinos considerably farther back.

wabbit said:
We may get information from earlier time, just not light. Neutrinos I think can come from earlier, as can gravitational waves.
Ha! Beat you to it by 3 seconds !

phinds said:
Ha! Beat you to it by 3 seconds !
Right:) bowing to the master I deleted that post. I'll be faster next time! :)

Maybe it s a bad idea to delete posts though, I do that when I see a duplicate reply but it does break links. Not sure what's the preference here at pf.

wabbit said:
Right:) bowing to the master I deleted that post. I'll be faster next time! :)

Maybe it s a bad idea to delete posts though, I do that when I see a duplicate reply but it does break links. Not sure what's the preference here at pf.
Yeah, you shouldn't delete posts ... it messes up the thread unless you catch it before anyone responds to it and even then you're not entirely safe because someone could be typing a response while you are deleting it.

OK noted, thanks. This is what happened here, quoted while deleting. Better just leave it then.

Just wanted to add something: neutrinos also have their limiting time, similar to light. The temperature must be low enough (well, "low" is relative here) so that neutrinos decouple from matter. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_neutrino_background, this however happened not 380k years after the "big bang", but just two seconds - so we do gain a significant window. Still, no neutrinos from before that.

An efficient neutrino telescope would answer a lot of questions about the early universe. Unfortunately, neutrinos have a 'plays well with matter' grade barely above that of dark matter. They are very antisocial so collecting enough of them to generate a useful image of the early universe is hugely challenging.

1. Did the universe have a beginning?

This question has been a topic of debate among scientists and philosophers for centuries. The current scientific consensus is that the universe did indeed have a beginning, approximately 13.8 billion years ago in an event known as the Big Bang.

2. How do we know that the universe had a beginning?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the Big Bang theory is the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, a faint glow found in all directions in space. This radiation is a remnant of the intense heat and energy from the early universe, indicating that the universe was once much denser and hotter than it is now.

3. What caused the universe to begin?

The cause of the Big Bang is still a mystery, and scientists are continually working to understand the underlying mechanisms. Some theories suggest that the universe was created from a singularity, a point of infinite density and energy, while others propose the idea of a multiverse or parallel universes.

4. Can we ever know for certain if the universe had a beginning?

It is currently impossible to know for certain if the universe had a beginning, as we are limited by the tools and technology available to us. However, advancements in science and technology may lead to a better understanding of the origins of the universe in the future.

5. What came before the beginning of the universe?

This is a difficult question to answer as time itself began with the Big Bang. It is possible that the concept of "before" may not apply in the same way before the universe existed. Some theories propose the idea of a cyclical universe, where the Big Bang is just one of many events, but this is still a topic of debate among scientists.