Would an Eternal Universe Violate the Second Law of Thermo?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
g_mogni
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

Some people claim that universe has existed for eternity to get around the Big Bang theory. However wouldn't this violate either the 1st of 2nd laws of Thermodynamics which forbid perpetual motion of the 1st and 2nd kind respectively? In other words, doesn't the impossibility of perpetual motion as stated by Thermodynamics make the notion of infinite or eternal amount of time absurd?

Cheers,

Gabriele
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no violation if the entropy asymptotically approaches some value towards the infinite past.
 
Khashishi said:
Do you know what asymptote means?
Ye of course I've posted an example in the link above... maybe you meant that the asymptotycal value doe not have to be infinity?
 
g_mogni said:
Ye of course I've posted an example in the link above... maybe you meant that the asymptotycal value doe not have to be infinity?

Khashishi said:
Yes, asymptotic value does not have to be infinity.
But isn't what you're saying equivalent to the law of increase of entropy, that the entropy of an isolated system (e.g. universe) can only increase until it reaches max at equilibrium? This is basically a re-statement of the 2nd law...

G
 
I was only answering your initial question "However wouldn't this violate either the 1st of 2nd laws of Thermodynamics which forbid perpetual motion of the 1st and 2nd kind respectively?"
I don't know if the universe indeed is infinite in time or if entropy indeed asymptotes to a value. I am simply answering your question in the negative.