Die is rolled 3 times and 1 more

• Thread starter RsMath
  • Start date
I should have done variance of the sum.In summary, the first question asks for the variance of the sum of three rolls of a die. After calculating the expected value of the sum, the correct approach is to use the variance formula for the sum of independent random variables. For the second question, the probability of having exactly 3 balls in a randomly chosen chain is calculated using the combination formula and the probability of each ball being chosen. The use of the central limit theorem is also mentioned.
RsMath
I have these two question I hope someone could check them out for me :

1) A die is rolled 3 times, let x be the sum of the 3 results .

what is var(x) ?

I started by calculating E(x)= Segma(1 to 3 (E(Xi)) when Xi is the number we got in every throw .
E(Xi)=3.5
then E(x) = 10.5 (Expected of the sum)

now what should I do to find the var of x ?

2) we have n balls and n^2 chains , we throw the balls randomly into the chains.
we pick y randomly - a chain , what's the probability that it has exactly 3 balls in it .

ok, I've kinda solve this question but I'm not sure if the answer is correct .. we choose 3 balls from the n balls , and we do it in n!/((n-3)!*3!) and we calculate every ball by the probability that it goes into y , 1/n^2 .. thus final answer is :

n!
-------------
(n-3)!*3!*n^6

can you help me complete the first Q and check the second one for me.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let x be a random variable that stands for a single toss of the die.

x p[x]
1 1/6
2 1/6
6 1/6

Then E[x] = 3.5 and E[x^2] = 15.1667 and var(x) = 2.9167

We then have Y = X + X + X. Thus,

[tex] \rho^2_Y = \frac{\rho^2_X}{N}= \frac{2.9167}{3}[/tex]

Last edited:
thanks tedbradly.
you have found the variance of the mean by dividing by 3 .
shouldn't it be :
var(x+x+x) = var(x)+var(x+x)+2*cov(x,x+x) =
var(x)+4*var(x)+2*(E(x(x+1))-E(x)*E(x+x) = 9*var(x) ?? and not var(x)/3 ?
I just need to make sure .

RsMath said:
thanks tedbradly.
you have found the variance of the mean by dividing by 3 .
shouldn't it be :
var(x+x+x) = var(x)+var(x+x)+2*cov(x,x+x) =
var(x)+4*var(x)+2*(E(x(x+1))-E(x)*E(x+x) = 9*var(x) ?? and not var(x)/3 ?
I just need to make sure .

I have no idea what all that is that you typed, but I just used the central limit theorem.

tedbradly said:
I have no idea what all that is that you typed, but I just used the central limit theorem.

he's using var(X+Y) = var(X) + var(Y) + 2cov(X,Y).

since X and Y are independent the covariance is 0, so you get var(X+Y) = var(X) + var(Y) .

likewise var(X+Y+Z) = var(X)+var(Y+Z) = var(X)+var(Y)+var(Z) (if X, Y and Z are independent.)

If X,Y and Z have an identical distribution then: var(X+Y+Z) = 3var(X)

willem2 said:
he's using var(X+Y) = var(X) + var(Y) + 2cov(X,Y).

since X and Y are independent the covariance is 0, so you get var(X+Y) = var(X) + var(Y) .

likewise var(X+Y+Z) = var(X)+var(Y+Z) = var(X)+var(Y)+var(Z) (if X, Y and Z are independent.)

If X,Y and Z have an identical distribution then: var(X+Y+Z) = 3var(X)
Oh. I was doing variance of the mean, which is wrong.

1. What does "Die is rolled 3 times and 1 more" mean?

This means that a single die (six-sided cube with numbers 1-6) is rolled three times, and then one additional roll is made.

2. How many total rolls will there be in "Die is rolled 3 times and 1 more"?

There will be a total of 4 rolls in "Die is rolled 3 times and 1 more" (3 initial rolls + 1 additional roll).

3. What is the probability of getting a specific number in "Die is rolled 3 times and 1 more"?

The probability of getting a specific number on any given roll is 1/6, which means the probability of getting a specific number in "Die is rolled 3 times and 1 more" is also 1/6.

4. Is there any difference between "Die is rolled 3 times and 1 more" and "Die is rolled 4 times"?

Yes, there is a difference. In "Die is rolled 3 times and 1 more", the additional roll is made after the initial 3 rolls have already been made. In "Die is rolled 4 times", all 4 rolls are made at once.

5. How does "Die is rolled 3 times and 1 more" affect the overall outcome?

The additional roll in "Die is rolled 3 times and 1 more" can potentially change the overall outcome, as it provides one extra chance for a different number to be rolled. However, this also depends on the specific numbers rolled in the initial 3 rolls.