Increasing Diesel Engine Efficiency with Retractable Plates

In summary, the idea suggests introducing a contra piston into the head of the piston to keep the volume constant around the time of combustion, which would then allow for an approximately constant volume heat addition. However, this idea has some potential disadvantages, including the fact that the piston is in constant motion and that it is not possible to arrest its reciprocating motion at any point in its stroke.
venkata
In case of diesel cycle thermal efficiency is low, because heat addition takes place at constant pressure.so can we introduce some retractable plate which sits below the piston during end of compression stroke,and retracts back after heat addition,thus providing constant volume heat addition and increasing efficiency.These plates can be controlled by sensors connected to ECU.Does this idea works out

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are studying mechanical engineering. That is certainly the right field of study for your interests. But you need to evaluate your own ideas.

Here's how to start the evaluation of your idea. Make a sketch showing your idea. Include some approximate dimensions, calculate how far each part needs to move, how much time is available to make the moves, the necessary accelerations and resulting forces. Show us actuators that provide those forces at those speeds. If you get stuck, show us how far you got, and we will help.

Likes anorlunda
If I understand what you are suggesting, I believe this will not work. In a piston cylinder, the piston head provides an essentially air tight seal between the combustion chamber and the bottom portion of the bore. The heat addition (combustion) occurs at constant pressure because the cylinder is being driven down on the power stroke, thus changing the chamber volume. Any plates below the piston head would not affect the chamber pressure and therefore would not improve the efficiency. Keep thinking outside the box though!

Caleb_P said:
If I understand what you are suggesting, I believe this will not work. In a piston cylinder, the piston head provides an essentially air tight seal between the combustion chamber and the bottom portion of the bore. The heat addition (combustion) occurs at constant pressure because the cylinder is being driven down on the power stroke, thus changing the chamber volume. Any plates below the piston head would not affect the chamber pressure and therefore would not improve the efficiency. Keep thinking outside the box though!
So that's what I think,if we can place plates under piston head we could restrict the movement of piston and thus causing constant volume heat addition

What do you mean by plates under the piston head? Can you make a sketch?

Anything inserted into the cylinder to try and keep the volume constant would have to overcome the pressure in the cylinder. As far as I can see the power this would require is the same as that delivered to the piston.

Perhaps you could explode the fuel in a side chamber (of fixed volume) and then when it's fully burnt open a valve allowing the products of combustion into the cylinder head driving down the piston.

You might even be able to use the piston itself as the valve.

I'm sure there are disadvantages.

The piston is linked to the crankshaft of the engine by the piston rod and therefore it is in constant motion as the crankshaft rotates so it is not possible to arrest its reciprocating motion at any point in its stroke.

JBA said:
The piston is linked to the crankshaft of the engine by the piston rod and therefore it is in constant motion as the crankshaft rotates so it is not possible to arrest its reciprocating motion at any point in its stroke.
But in case of Otto cycle how could we achieve constant volume heat addition

See my post above.

Edit: Another method might be to use a contra piston in the head that was moved up and down in sympathy with the regular piston to keep the volume constant for a short period around combustion time.

The point is that it's likely to be possible, it's only engineering. The question is would it really make combustion more efficient?

Last edited:
venkata said:
But in case of Otto cycle how could we achieve constant volume heat addition
It is an approximation.From whatever I was taught during college,as the piston moves towards the TDC from the middle of the stroke, it is decelerated and its velocity changes direction at the TDC.So for a very short time, the piston velocity will be zero.
Then the combustion process occurs so quickly that the piston would not have moved a lot during combustion.
By aligning these two factors(i.e. choosing the right time to start the combustion), an approximately constant volume heat addition is achieved.

Last edited:
Just as a comment: By the above theory, if constant volume expansion is more efficient; then, ignoring all other factors, an engine should be more efficient at lower rpm's because that maximizes the time during which the piston is transiting tdc, while the burn time is the same at all engine rpm's.

1. How do retractable plates increase diesel engine efficiency?

Retractable plates are placed in the exhaust system of diesel engines and act as a variable restriction. By adjusting the position of the plates, the exhaust back pressure can be controlled, allowing for better regulation of the air-fuel mixture. This results in improved combustion and ultimately, increased engine efficiency.

2. What is the purpose of using retractable plates in diesel engines?

The main purpose of using retractable plates in diesel engines is to optimize the air-fuel ratio and improve combustion. This not only leads to increased efficiency, but also reduces emissions and prolongs the lifespan of the engine.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using retractable plates in diesel engines?

While retractable plates can provide significant benefits, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. These include added complexity and cost to the engine, as well as the need for regular maintenance and potential for failure if not properly maintained.

4. Can retractable plates be used in all types of diesel engines?

Retractable plates are most commonly used in heavy-duty diesel engines, such as those found in trucks and industrial equipment. However, they can also be used in smaller diesel engines with proper design and installation.

5. How much of an improvement in efficiency can be expected with the use of retractable plates?

The exact improvement in efficiency will vary depending on the specific engine and conditions, but it is generally reported that retractable plates can increase engine efficiency by 5-10%. This can result in significant cost savings in fuel consumption for large diesel engines.