Difference between 2 equations in percentage

• Thread starter FrostScYthe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary: Additionally, it is doubtful that you are looking for a percentage difference, as the two equations have different slopes.
FrostScYthe
This is probably a dumb question, but I was asked to get a measurement in percentage between 2 linear equations with different slopes.

I have the following linear equations

y1 = 450463x + 50000
y2 = 668453x + 100000

Can I determine a constant difference between them, in terms of A is X percent greater than B? if so, how do I calculate it?

my guess is :

668453 - 450463
----------------- = 32.6 %

However when I test points it doesn't work, it varies, hmm maybe I'm looking for the wrong percentage? Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a question not a tutorial. I am moving it to the "precalculus homework" section.

FrostScYthe said:
This is probably a dumb question, but I was asked to get a measurement in percentage between 2 linear equations with different slopes.

I have the following linear equations

y1 = 450463x + 50000
y2 = 668453x + 100000

Can I determine a constant difference between them, in terms of A is X percent greater than B? if so, how do I calculate it?
No, you can't. The percentage difference between y1 and y2 is itself a function of x, not a constant.

my guess is :

668453 - 450463
----------------- = 32.6 %

However when I test points it doesn't work, it varies, hmm maybe I'm looking for the wrong percentage? Any ideas?

Can I determine a constant difference between them, in terms of A is X percent greater than B?

I think "a constant difference" is not exactly what you want! You need something that relates y2 with y1, correct? If so, you may obtain a linear relation between y1 and y2 (divide each equation by its slope, then subtract the two equations) you should obtain a linear equation y2 = m * y1 + b

surely the equation describe the relation between y1 and y2. But you may do something extra
Can you tell on what conditions one may say y2 is P% of y1? what P equals to?

This however, is not the same as percentage difference, as HallsofIvy mentioned, the percentage difference varies according to x so it can't be constant.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the difference between two equations in percentage?

The formula for calculating the difference between two equations in percentage is ((Equation 2 - Equation 1)/Equation 1) x 100.

2. How do you interpret the percentage difference between two equations?

The percentage difference between two equations indicates the percentage change in the value of one equation compared to the other. A positive percentage difference means the second equation is larger, while a negative percentage difference means the first equation is larger.

3. Can the percentage difference between two equations be greater than 100%?

Yes, the percentage difference between two equations can be greater than 100%. This occurs when the second equation is more than 100% larger than the first equation.

4. How can I convert the percentage difference between two equations into a decimal?

To convert the percentage difference between two equations into a decimal, divide the percentage difference by 100. For example, if the percentage difference is 50%, the decimal equivalent is 0.5.

5. Is there a difference between percentage difference and percentage error?

Yes, there is a difference between percentage difference and percentage error. Percentage difference compares two equations, while percentage error compares a measured value to a known or expected value. Percentage error is often used in scientific experiments or data analysis to evaluate the accuracy of a measurement.