1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between 2 equations in percentage

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    This is probably a dumb question, but I was asked to get a measurement in percentage between 2 linear equations with different slopes.

I have the following linear equations

y1 = 450463x + 50000
    y2 = 668453x + 100000

Can I determine a constant difference between them, in terms of A is X percent greater than B? if so, how do I calculate it?

my guess is :

668453 - 450463
    ----------------- = 32.6 %

However when I test points it doesn't work, it varies, hmm maybe I'm looking for the wrong percentage? Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is a question not a tutorial. I am moving it to the "precalculus homework" section.
  4. Jan 6, 2009 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you can't. The percentage difference between y1 and y2 is itself a function of x, not a constant.

5. Jan 16, 2009 #4
    I think "a constant difference" is not exactly what you want! You need something that relates y2 with y1, correct? If so, you may obtain a linear relation between y1 and y2 (divide each equation by its slope, then subtract the two equations) you should obtain a linear equation y2 = m * y1 + b

surely the equation describe the relation between y1 and y2. But you may do something extra
    Can you tell on what conditions one may say y2 is P% of y1? what P equals to?

This however, is not the same as percentage difference, as HallsofIvy mentioned, the percentage difference varies according to x so it can't be constant.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?