Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between a gas and a liquid

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1

I'm trying to review some fundamental chemistry and I want to make sure I understand the difference between a liquid and a gas. I will build this question up in stages.

I'd like to consider propanone. I believe the intermolecular forces (IMF)in liquid propanone are dipole-dipole and London dispersion forces (induced dipole). What IMF forces are there in gaseous propanone? Are there any IMF in a gas because the gas molecules would all disperse if they weren't in a container suggesting they aren't held together very strongly.

I will build my question up once I have this foundation clarified.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

A substance becomes gaseous when the thermal energy available in the environment is greater than the energy from the intermolecular forces that hold molecules in a solid or liquid together. In a gas, we almost always assume that there are no interactions between different gas molecules.
  4. Aug 12, 2010 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook