Intermolecular forces between NO particles

Homework Statement:
Identify the most important types of intermolecular forces present in NO.
Relevant Equations:
intermolecular forces - London dispersion forces, dipole-dipoles forces, hydrogen bonding, ion-dipole forces
The answer is dipole-dipole and London dispersion forces, but I only chose London dispersion forces. How would you determine whether there is a large or small electronegativity difference between N and O? And therefore how would you determine whether the N-O bond is polar covalent or non polar covalent, not given electronegativity values?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Best approach is to remember some basic electronegativity values for most common elements (which as actually trivial: -4 for fluorine, then minus half for each next element while moving to the left though the periodic table, 2.2 for hydrogen and you have covered the most important ones).

Likes i_love_science
DrDu
Science Advisor
In the case of NO, I would also include covalent bonding, as N2O2 is in equilibrium with NO. You may argue whether this is really an intermolecular interaction, but at the end, all these distinction are artificial. E. g., all these interaction will contribute to the virial coefficients.

Draw the structure of NO and observe that it is non-symmetrical. Non-symmetrical molecules are generally polar.

Besides dipole-dipoles forces, London dispersion forces are also there. In polar molecules, cumulative effect of dipole-dipoles forces and London dispersion forces exists.