Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between a spanning and linear combination?

1. Aug 15, 2010 #1
    what is the difference of a span of a vector and a linear combination of a vector?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2010 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Given a set of vectors v_1,...,v_n, a linear combination of those vectors is a vector of the form a_1v_1+...+a_nv_n, for a_1,...,a_n some scalars. The span of the vectors v_1,...,v_n is the set of all the linear combinations of those vectors. I.e., it is the set whose elements are the vectors of the form a_1v_1+...+a_nv_n for all possible values of the coefficients a_1,...,a_n.

4. Aug 15, 2010 #3
    hmm, sorry for interrupting, but how to know when the span of some vector are equal?
    ie: The span of the vectors v_1,...,v_n = The span of the vectors u_1,...,u_k.

5. Aug 15, 2010 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One way to do it would be to check that every vector u_i is itself a linear combination of the v_j, and conversely, that every vector v_j can be written as a linear combination of the u_i.

If this is so, then span(u_1,...,u_k)=span(v_1,...,v_n). If not, then the spans are not equal.

Make sure you see why.

6. Aug 15, 2010 #5
    i can't clearly see it, every element in span(u_1,...,u_k) is then the element of span(v_1,...,v_n), and conversely,

then span(u_1,...,u_k) is subset of span(v_1,...,v_n), and conversely

is that really correct?

7. Aug 15, 2010 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose that for each i=1,...,k,

[tex]u_i = \sum_{j=1}^nc_i^jv_j[/tex]

Then, for an arbitrary linear combination of the u_i,

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^ka^iu_i=\sum_{i=1}^ka^i\left(\sum_{j=1}^nc_i^jv_j\right)=\sum_{j=1}^n\left(\sum_{i=1}^ka^ic_i^j\right)v_j[/tex]

(a linear combination of the v_j !) This shows that [itex]\mathrm{span}(u_1,\ldots,u_k)\subset \mathrm{span}(v_1,\ldots,v_n)[/itex].

And in the same way, if each v_j can be written as a linear combination of the u_i, we obtain [itex]\mathrm{span}(v_1,\ldots,v_n)\subset \mathrm{span}(u_1,\ldots,u_k)[/itex].

And so in that case, [itex]\mathrm{span}(v_1,\ldots,v_n)= \mathrm{span}(u_1,\ldots,u_k)[/itex].

On the other hand, if for instance, u_i cannot be written as a linear combination of the v_j's, then [itex]\mathrm{span}(v_1,\ldots,v_n)\neq \mathrm{span}(u_1,\ldots,u_k)[/itex] since [itex]u_i\in \mathrm{span}(u_1,\ldots,u_k)[/itex] but [itex]u_i \notin\mathrm{span}(v_1,\ldots,v_n)[/itex].

8. Aug 15, 2010 #7
    thanksssssssssss, i can see it now

9. Aug 15, 2010 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And please note that these are the span of a set of vectors and the linear combination of a set of vectors. Typically the set contains more than just one vector!

A linear combination is single sum of scalars times vectors in the set. The span is the collection of all possible linear combinations of the set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook