Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between color and strong forces?

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    can anyone explain me about the differences between color and strong force?Though there are four fundamental forces so from where does the color force come?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2
    If I am not mistaken, quarks are held together by gluons and like quarks have up, down, charm, strange, top and bottom with their anti quark partners, gluons are called red, green and ( forgot one more color) and my the exchange of gluons, the quark remain together. In fact, the carriers of strong force are gluons and they carry color charge.
    In short, just like the photons are the carriers of EM force, gluons are the gauge bosons of strong force and they keep the quarks intact.
    Its better if you look at wikipedia and do some research on QCD.

4. Dec 1, 2013 #3
    "Color force" is another name for the strong force.

5. Dec 1, 2013 #4
    But after posting this question I searched more articles and found the following extract saying

"Since quarks make up the baryons, and the strong interaction takes place between baryons, you could say that the color force is the source of the strong interaction, or that the strong interaction is like a residual color force which extends beyond the proton or neutron to bind them together in a nucleus."

6. Dec 2, 2013 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The color force is the fundamental force. It holds quarks together inside of nucleons. Even though nucleons are "color neutral", there is a small amount of interaction between nuclei thanks to the color force "bleeding over" to a nearby nucleon that gives rise to the very short range strong force. This is similar to how neutral atoms can be still be attracted to each other at close range.

Perhaps a better term would be to call the interaction between nuclei the "nuclear force" and just use the strong force and color force interchangeably.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_force

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook