Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Standard Model (Forces interacting with Matter)

1. Jan 8, 2018 #1
    Not the best at physics but trying to understand the standard model. So can someone please tell me if this is right or not and if not, can you explain me why?

Higgs bosons reacts with everything that has mass.
    Electromagnetic force reacts with everything that has charge.
    Weak force reacts with everything that has spin.
    Strong force reacts with everything that has color.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2018 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Electric charge.
    No. Gluons and photons have spin 1, for example. The weak interaction interacts with everything that has a weak charge, which happens to be every particle apart from gluons, photons and Higgs bosons. For the interaction between Higgs bosons and W/Z it is unclear if you want to call that a weak interaction or an interaction of the Higgs.

4. Jan 8, 2018 #3
    So
    Higgs bosons reacts with everything that has mass.
    Electromagnetic force reacts with everything that has electric charge.
    Weak force reacts with everything that has weak hypercharge.
    Strong force reacts with everything that has color.

If it would react to everything that has a weak hypercharge than it should also react to the Higgs boson because its weak hypercharge is +1.

And yes I ment electric charge.

5. Jan 8, 2018 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

This is not really true either. The currents coupling to W and Z bosons are rather complicated. Weak hypercharge is the unbroken U(1) above electroweak symmetry breaking. Z bosons couple to a linear combination of weak hypercharge and the third component of weak isospin. W bosons only couple to left-handed particles as they belong purely to the standard model SU(2), which is chiral.

Edit: Also, I would suggest learning the standard model from the basic gauge interactions rather than trying to learn it in terms of a mantra on the form "this interacts with that".

6. Jan 9, 2018 #5
    Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model_(mathematical_formulation)

"Interactions" are those terms of the Lagrangian where you have more than one type of field (or a derivative of one). You can read off "what interacts with what" by looking at the fields in such terms.

The terms which have only one type of field are "kinetic terms" and describe how this field's particles fly freely when they do not interact with anything.

7. Jan 9, 2018 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

This is not entirely correct. For example you have the terms of the Higgs potential and the self-interaction terms of the non-Abelian gauge groups.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted