Difference between combustible substance and a supporter of combustion

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    This is driving me insane:-----

What is the difference between a combustible substance and a supporter of combustion?

Thanx in advance...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2
    A combustible substance is something that burns a supporter of combustion is an oxidizer like O2.

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    Thanx.... I had already got the answer from a chemistry forum. Physics forums was a little too late... :D

5. Apr 8, 2013 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what did you find? I'm always interested in unimportant chemistry trivia.

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5
    The same thing, the one that oxidises is the combustible substance and the one that gets reduced in the supporter of combustion. I dont think its unimportant. None of my books could explain this simple thing...

7. Apr 19, 2013 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

An interesting demonstration would be to reverse the normal combustion arrangement.

A thought experiment only....don't try it in real life.

Have a room filled with pure methane or natural gas, and introduce into it a Bunsen burner fed with no gas but just compressed air. Light the Bunsen with an electric spark, and see whether you can boil a beaker of water over this air flame.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted