Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between Cosmology and Astrophysics/Astronomy

1. Sep 4, 2015 #1
    Well my question is what is exactly the difference between Astrophysics and Cosmology and Quantum mechanics ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you check the wikipedia articles? They should give a good idea.

4. Sep 4, 2015 #3
    Quantum mechanics is a very successful theory of how things work on the tiniest scales, atomic scale and smaller.
    Cosmology is the opposite, it encompasses many theories of how things work on the largest of scales, the entire universe.
    Astrophysics studies the observable universe, Galaxies etc, using telescopes and other instrumentation

5. Sep 4, 2015 #4

bapowell

Science Advisor

A quick distinction: cosmology studies the properties and evolution of the universe as a whole, whereas astrophysics studies the properties and processes of structures in the universe.

6. Sep 4, 2015 #5

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Hmm. Does that mean cosmology tends to more of an alpha science than astrophysics?

7. Sep 4, 2015 #6

bapowell

Science Advisor

What's an "alpha science"?

8. Sep 5, 2015 #7
    Well I am afraid that I have not checked any articles yet but thanks for the advice I will check em now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook