• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Difference between diffraction and prism

• Thread starter splinn
  • Start date

Homework Statement

How to make difference between the light that has traveled through a prism and the light that has traveled through a diffraction grating when only place that is visible to the viewer is the place where the white light lands?

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, but i have no idea how to make a difference

Answers and Replies

Delphi51
Homework Helper
Welcome to PF.
Is that the exact wording of the question? The phrase "make a difference" is not at all clear. Nor is "the place where the white light lands". Is it a translation from another language?

If I had to answer it as it stands I would say that the prism bends all the light so "the place where the white light lands" would be black. The grating passes white light straight through to the bright central maximum, so "the place where the white light lands" would be white.

I guess splinn is referring to the differences in the white light spectra produced by a prism and a grating.splinn,I suggest that firstly you make an attempt by doing some research and then report back here if you need extra help.

Yes it is translated from another language. As i come to think about it, it's kind of confusing to myself too what exactly the asker ment by this question. In my Physics exam professor gives me a random subject and I have to demonstrate my skills to discuss physically correct on this subject. One of those questions is this.

Delphi51-s answer might be correct.

Dadface, suppose the professor ment that i have to write what is different of the white light from prism and from grating by only seeing that white part of light. Is there a way to make a difference?

Splinn,you have yet to show us any attempt at a solution.What do you know so far?