Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between eigenvalue and an expectation value

1. Aug 16, 2012 #1
    difference between eigenvalue and an expectation value of an observable. in what circumstances may they be the same?

from what i understand, an expectation value is the average value of a repeated value, it might be the same as eigen value, when the system is a pure eigenstate..

am i right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2012 #2
    Yes, you are right :smile:

Given an operator [itex]A: H \rightarrow H[/itex], [itex]H[/itex] an Hilbert space, [itex]|\psi\rangle \in H[/itex], then

i) [itex]a \equiv \frac{\langle \psi | A| \psi \rangle}{\langle \psi | \psi \rangle}[/itex] is the expectation value of [itex]A[/itex] over the state [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex];
    ii) if there exists [itex]\alpha \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex]A|\psi \rangle = \alpha |\psi \rangle[/itex], then [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the eigenvalue of [itex]A[/itex] associated with the eigenstate [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex].

So if [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate of [itex]A[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\langle \psi|\psi\rangle=1[/itex], then [itex]a=\alpha[/itex].

Ilm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook