1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between Field and Fluid

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    Hi

I was actually intrigued by the fact that most fields are nothing more than vibrations of particles at high energies; is it possible that fields could display properties similar to fluids. for instance let us take the Space-Time fabric,I believe it will be essentially visualized as a field, is it possible that the fabric actually behaves as a fluid.

Let us say that we take the classical model of a fabric and with gravity acting as a dead weight, which possibly explains the warping of space-time around gravity.

Crude example I know, but then would this fully explain the space time fabric.

Is it necessary at this stage to look at it from the fluid dynamics perspective

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2
    says who? and what does that even mean?

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Continuum mechanics (and continuum field theories) have been around since the 1700's, at least. GR is a classical continuum field theory, and it's nearly 100 years old. Fluid mechanics is a classical continuum field theory, and has been around at least two times as long as that.

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4
    Fluids obey completely different rules. You cannot apply equations of fluids to fields and vice versa. Example ;Bernoulli equations would not work for electromagnetism. You are oversimplifying things when you say that fields are nothing more than vibrations of particles and that spacetime is a fabric. Both statements are not accurate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook