Difference between Freedman and Halliday physics textbooks

In summary, the two textbooks, "Fundamentals of Physics" and "University Physics," are very similar in terms of comprehensiveness and depth of material. They both cover the same topics with the same level of detail. The main difference lies in their presentation style, with one having more diagrams and examples and the other having more text explanation. Both textbooks also have a range of practice problems, from easy to difficult. It is recommended to look into older editions of these textbooks, as the newer editions may not offer significant updates and are often more expensive. Ultimately, it is up to personal preference and learning style to determine which textbook may be easier to grasp.
Dragohunter
I was wondering about the differences between the two textbooks "Fundamentals of Physics" and "University Physics:? Skimming a few pages of them on images on the internet, it seems University Physics has a lot of updated diagrams to help the reader understand but I couldn't tell much beyond that. I was wondering:

1. Which one is more comprehensive? (easier to grasp)

2. Which one is more in depth of the material (maybe harder to grasp, but more detailed and goes deeper into the concepts)

3. Which one generally contains more difficult practice problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dragohunter said:
1. Which one is more comprehensive? (easier to grasp)

2. Which one is more in depth of the material (maybe harder to grasp, but more detailed and goes deeper into the concepts)

3. Which one generally contains more difficult practice problems?

I have recent versions of both, and I'd say it really depends on you. Some people prefer more diagrams and examples, some prefer more text explanation. I like the styles of both of these texts. Other people may find that Serway is better than either, for them.

Both texts cover essentially the same material at essentially the same depth. Each might have more or less on a given topic, but it balances out. And both have problems ranging from easy to hard, so you can go as deep as you like, within the limits of freshman physics.

If you want to go beyond either book, it would be more efficient to take a more advanced class with a more advanced book, rather than waste time trying to find a different freshman text that goes just a little deeper. If you master the material in either book, you will be very well prepared for more advanced classes.

If you want an example of specific differences, I was attracted to Halliday because it was the only text I found that gave a calculus-based derivation of the v-squared over r formula for centripetal acceleration the first time it was mentioned. It seemed easy and straightforward to me. Every other text, even those that use calculus for everything else, tried to derive it geometrically, which ironically seemed much less convincing and much harder to understand to me.

On the other hand, Halliday did not go into tangential and radial acceleration as early as the other texts, and I wish it would have.

So there are pros and cons with everything.

Really, since freshman physics hasn't changed much for many years, I would get older editions of both. Go on Ebay, or the used book section of Amazon, and you can find older editions for about ten bucks. Heck, get Serway, too. All three for 30 bucks, and maybe ten years old, will give you a MUCH better resource than the 2011 edition of any of them for $200.

I have a ninth edition of Young and Freedman, and my friend has a 12th edition, and the only difference I can see is slightly different diagrams, and the order of the problems. It's really kind of a racket that they rearrange a few things, add a few problems, and call it a new edition.

What is the main difference between Freedman and Halliday physics textbooks?

The main difference between Freedman and Halliday physics textbooks is the approach to teaching the subject. Freedman textbooks tend to focus more on conceptual understanding and real-life applications, while Halliday textbooks have a more mathematical and theoretical approach.

Which textbook is better for beginners in physics?

For beginners in physics, Freedman textbooks may be more suitable as they emphasize understanding the concepts and provide real-life examples to make the subject more relatable. Halliday textbooks, on the other hand, may be more challenging for beginners as they require a strong foundation in mathematics.

Are the topics covered in both textbooks the same?

Yes, both Freedman and Halliday textbooks cover the same topics in physics. However, the order and depth of coverage may differ.

Which textbook is more commonly used in universities?

Both Freedman and Halliday textbooks are commonly used in universities. However, Halliday textbooks may be more commonly used in higher-level courses as they provide a more in-depth understanding of the subject.

Do Freedman and Halliday textbooks have similar problem sets?

Both Freedman and Halliday textbooks have a variety of problem sets. However, Halliday textbooks may have more complex and mathematical problems, while Freedman textbooks may have more conceptual problems.