1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Difference between global and local gauge symmetries

1. Feb 11, 2017 #1
    The mantra in theoretical physics is that global gauge transformations are physical symmetries of a theory, whereas local gauge transformations are simply redundancies (representing redundant degrees of freedom (dof)) of a theory.

My question is, what distinguishes them (other than being global and local - independent and dependent on spacetime coordinates)? In particular, why is one (global gauge symmetry) considered to be a physical symmetry with an associated Noether current, whereas the other (local gauge symmetry) is not?

For example, the archetypal gauge theory is classical electromagnetism: under a local gauge transformation the 4-potential ##A^{\mu}(x)## transforms as $$A^{\mu}(x)\rightarrow A'^{\mu}(x)=A^{\mu}(x)+\partial^{\mu}\Lambda(x)$$ This, however, leaves the physically measurable field strength ##F^{\mu\nu}(x)## unchanged, i.e. $$F^{\mu\nu}(x)\rightarrow F'^{\mu\nu}(x)=F^{\mu\nu}(x)$$ As I understand it, this is what is meant by a local gauge symmetry being a redundancy in the description of the physical theory, since it simply reflects the fact that the physically unmeasurable quantities used to describe the theory, in this case ##A^{\mu}##, are not uniquely defined. They are introduced as a convenience to describe the theory, and their non-uniqueness is a relic of how we use them to represent physical quantities, and not due to some physical symmetry of the system. (Another example would be in GR - coordinates are introduced to describe physical quantities locally (i.e. project a tensor onto a particular coordinate basis), however, such coordinates are not uniquely defined, one can choose any set of admissable coordinates to describe the same physical quantity).

When it comes to a global symmetry, however, I'm not sure at all how to argue why this is a physical symmetry as opposed to simply a redundancy in the description of the physical theory?!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2017 #2
    Anyone got any thoughts on this? Any help would be much appreciated!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted