Difference between 'if' and 'only if'

• Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, "if" specifies a sufficient condition for an event to occur, while "only if" specifies that the condition is necessary for the event to occur. "If and only if" specifies that the condition is both necessary and sufficient for the event to occur.
bonfire09
I'm having trouble understanding the difference between the two. such as in this example.

I will pass logic if I score 100 on every exam
I will pass logic only if I score 100 on every exam

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first example is typically translated into sentential logic the same way as

If I score 100 on every exam, then I will pass logic.

This first sentence is false if I score 100 on every exam and do not pass logic.

Your second example is typically translated the same way as

If I pass logic, then I score 100 on every exam.

This second sentence is false if I pass logic but do not score 100 on every exam.

bonfire09 said:
I'm having trouble understanding the difference between the two. such as in this example.I will pass logic if I score 100 on every exam
I will pass logic only if I score 100 on every exam

Will you pass logic if you score 99 on every exam? Not according to your second sentence.
"Only if" specifies that a condition is necessary for an event to occur, whereas "if" specifies that the event is sufficient.

Last edited:
In the first sentence if the student only gets 99 on every exam then he fails. Same thing with the second sentence. so only if and if are the same thing?

bonfire09 said:
In the first sentence if the student only gets 99 on every exam then he fails. Same thing with the second sentence. so only if and if are the same thing?

The first sentence says no such thing; it specifies a sufficient condition, not a necessary one.

bonfire09 said:
Not at all. The two statements are quite different if the student does not get 100 on every test. The first statement says nothing about this situation. The student might pass, might fail, if the student fails to get 100 on every test. The second statement says that the student will not pass. Another difference: Suppose the student does get 100 on every test. The first statement says the student will indeed pass. The second doesn't say anything about the pass/fail outcome if the student does get 100 on every test. Yet another difference: Suppose you know the student passed. The first sentence doesn't tell you whether the student made a 100 on each test. The second sentence does tell you that the student made all 100s.

"A number is odd if it ends in a 3" is true.
"A number is odd if and only if it ends in a 3" is false.

Alternatively,
"A number has a real square root if it is bigger or equal to 0" is true.
"A number has a real square root if, and only if it is bigger or equal to 0" is also true.

With "if", there could be other conditions that lead to that outcome. With "only if", that is the only condition.

acabus said:
"A number is odd if it ends in a 3" is true.
"A number is odd if and only if it ends in a 3" is false.
Eloquently and succinctly put.

DaveC426913 said:
Eloquently and succinctly put.
Not quite. acabus' answer is about if versus if and only if. The question asks for the difference between if and only if.

The difference between if and only if is pretty simple.

"P if Q" is the same as "if Q then P."
"P only if Q" is the same as "if P then Q."

The way I look at is the following:

If is used to imply that it can be a condition to satisfy the statement.
If and only if is used to imply that it be the only condition satisfying the statement.

D H said:
Not quite. acabus' answer is about if versus if and only if. The question asks for the difference between if and only if.

The difference between if and only if is pretty simple.

"P if Q" is the same as "if Q then P."
"P only if Q" is the same as "if P then Q."

We can refine it a bit, maybe.

A number is even if it is divisible by 4 (true)
A number is even only if it is divisible by 4 (false)

What is the difference between "if" and "only if" in logic?

"If" and "only if" are both logical connectives used to describe conditional statements. However, they differ in their meaning and usage. "If" indicates that the statement following it is a necessary condition for the statement before it to be true, while "only if" indicates that the statement following it is a sufficient condition for the statement before it to be true.

Can "if" and "only if" be used interchangeably in logic?

No, "if" and "only if" cannot be used interchangeably in logic. They have different meanings and therefore cannot be substituted for one another. "If" is used to indicate a necessary condition, while "only if" is used to indicate a sufficient condition.

Can "if" and "only if" be used in mathematical proofs?

Yes, both "if" and "only if" can be used in mathematical proofs. They are commonly used to describe the conditions under which a statement is true or to show the equivalence of two statements. However, it is important to use them correctly and understand their different meanings.

How can I remember the difference between "if" and "only if"?

A helpful mnemonic to remember the difference between "if" and "only if" is to think of "if" as "necessary" and "only if" as "sufficient". This can help you remember that "if" indicates a necessary condition and "only if" indicates a sufficient condition.

Can "if" and "only if" be used in everyday language?

Yes, "if" and "only if" can also be used in everyday language. However, their usage in everyday language may not always follow the strict logical definitions. They are commonly used to express conditions or requirements for something to happen, but their usage may differ from their usage in logic.