Difference-love for gf and love for bestfriend

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, love is a mental construct that can be unreliable, short lived, or erratic. It can be based on physical attraction or other factors, but if you remove those things it becomes less romantic.
Skhandelwal
What is the difference b/w love for your soulmate and passion for your sport/career?

Physics news on Phys.org
Besides physical attraction, mentally, is there a difference b/w love for who you care about and love for who you are attracted to and care about?

What do these two things have to do with each other?

What question do you really want the answer to?

Sorry, I messed up, I have fixed it now.

Clearly you have some thoughts on the matter. You might get more interest if you elaborated.

Well, I am talking purely about mental love. The feelings you have for your best friend and feelings you have for your gf, if we exclude physical attraction, hormones level, etc. Is there a difference? If not then does love exist? Or is it just hype for romantic movies and greeting cards?

The confusion is that in english the word love works for both situations. That is all.

Skhandelwal said:
Besides physical attraction, mentally, is there a difference b/w love for who you care about and love for who you are attracted to and care about?
I think Gelsamel Epsilon has probably honed right in on the problem here. We are handicapped by one word that is used for two fairly different things.

If you were to sit and write out your feelings in detail for each situation without recourse to the word "love" then the differences ought to become clear.

Well, I am talking purely about mental love. The feelings you have for your best friend and feelings you have for your gf, if we exclude physical attraction, hormones level, etc. Is there a difference? If not then does love exist? Or is it just hype for romantic movies and greeting cards?

If you exclude physical attraction and hormones from what we might call "romantic" love you are really talking about an artificial mental construct that doesn't exist in real life. Usually when people mentally experiment with trying to subtract those things from the equation it means they are becoming uncomfortable with how unreliable, short lived, or erratic those things can be, and wonder if there is ever something more permanent behind it all that they can depend on to last.

Am I close?

1. What is the difference between loving your girlfriend and loving your best friend?

The main difference between loving your girlfriend and loving your best friend is the level of romantic and physical attraction. With a girlfriend, there is a deeper emotional and physical connection, whereas with a best friend, the love is more platonic and based on mutual trust, understanding, and support.

2. Can you love your girlfriend and best friend at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to love your girlfriend and best friend at the same time. However, the love for each may have different levels of intensity and depth, as the dynamics of the relationships are different.

3. Is it possible for a romantic relationship to develop from a friendship?

Yes, it is possible for a romantic relationship to develop from a friendship. Many successful relationships start off as friendships, as the foundation of trust and understanding is already established. However, it is important to communicate openly and make sure both parties are on the same page before pursuing a romantic relationship.

4. How can I maintain a healthy balance between my girlfriend and best friend?

Maintaining a healthy balance between your girlfriend and best friend is important. Make sure to communicate openly with both parties and include them in activities and events. It is also important to set boundaries and make time for one-on-one interactions with each person to strengthen the individual relationships.

5. Can I have a stronger love for my best friend than my significant other?

It is possible to have a stronger love for your best friend than your significant other. Love is a complex and unique emotion, and the intensity and depth of it can vary between different relationships. It is important to acknowledge and respect these differences and understand that the love for each person is special in its own way.