Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differences between Raman stokes and fluorescence

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    If the fluorescence is the re-emitting of a photon with a larger wave lenght due to the transition from a higher energy state to a lower energy state in the case of resonance Raman (where there aren't any virtual states) seems be equal to the fluorescence. Which differences are there?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Fluorescence occurs due to real electronic transitions, while Raman scattering occurs as a result of virtual electronic-vibrational transitions.

That is, fluorescence is an absorption/re-emission process while Raman scattering is an inelastic scattering process.

Claude.

4. Oct 14, 2011 #3
    Claude's answer brings up an interesting point about this problem: when does a photon "lose its identity" and become classified as a "re-emitted" photon?

5. Oct 15, 2011 #4
    Thanks Claude, but what's about Resonace Raman scattering are there any virtual electronic states involve? I don't think so... [Modern Raman Spectroscopy– A Practical Approach p. 94]

6. Oct 15, 2011 #5
    I think when a photon (and the wave associeted) interact costructively with a system there is a time in which the photon "lose its identity" (e.g. the 10-5 seconds for the fluorescence) the energy is non more in the photon but in the system e.g. molecule. So we can say that it is re-emitted because of this transition I think we can also say the system (the molecule, the atoms etc. etc.) is re-formed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook