Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different bandwidth for different devices

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    Hi, i'm trying to diagnose a bandwidth problem on my PC. i'm getting less than half a Mbit when connected to my house's wireless router. However, when i connect to that same router with my phone i get over 4Mb.

Both devices were tested on the same website (bandwidth place) so i am certain that the test results are on the same scale. On my PC videos will run for a few seconds, buffer for longer, then run for a few seconds, etc. On my phone the same video runs smoothly.

The embedded NIC in my PC recently died, so i replaced it with a USB NIC. The new NIC is 802.11n and it is connected to a USB 2.0. i'm at a loss for what i can do to correct this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
    USB NIC is a bad idea. Performance will always be bad due to the nature of the USB setup.

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the input. Are you saying that it isn't worth my time to continue trying to make this product work as advertised? As in i should just buy a traditional card because there is no solution to this problem?

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4
    If you can buy a PCI card then by all means, it will give the best performance. They are pretty cheap these days.

6. Oct 25, 2012 #5
    i appreciate the advice, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook